Unknown Martin James rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Re: Unknown Martin James rod

Post by Harry H »

These are quite often bought in blanks then are finished off by the maker and have a transfer added and not necessarily given a name.
You'll probably find at that length it's Spanish reed butt to help reduce the weight.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

BreadFlake wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:34 am
Harry H wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 am These are quite often bought in blanks then are finished off by the maker and have a transfer added and not necessarily given a name.
You'll probably find at that length it's Spanish reed butt to help reduce the weight.
Thank you Harry, I did think it was rather light for that length. There is actually one on the bidding site that states Spanish reed, so I’m sure you’re correct, the price on the site is questionable though. :Hahaha:

Is there anything I need to know regarding Spanish reed like does it need any special care? Also, would a big fish potentially damage it?
Just really ment for match fishing I would have thought
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

hi Breadflake,
Just seen your post, I have one of these rods waiting for restoration in my “to do” section (this keeps expanding despite all efforts) and can confirm that it is made from spanish reed with whole cane inserts leading to a rather slender split cane tip.Just a small Martin-James decal, no other details.
So there we have the classic pattern for a fifties match rod, a tad on the delicate side and happiest in close range situations with light tackle.
I assume we have the same rod, so there is a feature you may not be aware of. The handle detaches from the rest of the butt section allowing for you to fish the rod at 14’ and 11’6” lengths adding to its versatility. Take care when you separate these sections, they may not have been apart for decades.
The original whipping was in green thread.
Hope your restoration went well,
Regards Tom.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

There is another version of this rod. It's 3 piece 14ft, whole cane butt, whole cane spliced to whole cane middle section with the tip section whole cane spliced to greenheart. It's a rod for those that frequent the gym if you wish to hold it for any length of time! I'm fairly certain it's cane rather than Spanish reed. It has no model name and is just marked Martin James.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”