11ft. Rod For Carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Floater
Stickleback

11ft. Rod For Carp

Post by Floater »

Hello Everyone

I sent a PM to Beresford who kindly sent me a detailed reply , and suggested it would be interesting to have other forum members' opinions .

I asked is there an 11ft. rod that you could use for carp up to 30lb which had a parabolic action please ? .

Many thanks .

:)

Aitch
Pike

Re: 11ft. Rod For Carp

Post by Aitch »

Agutters used to do an 11' rod, but I don't know anyone who has one... they are down in Kent IIRC... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Floater wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:31 pm Hello Everyone

I sent a PM to Beresford who kindly sent me a detailed reply , and suggested it would be interesting to have other forum members' opinions .

I asked is there an 11ft. rod that you could use for carp up to 30lb which had a parabolic action please ? .

Many thanks .

Why do you want an 11 footer Floater? Long cane rods are always heavy and, unless you find something specially made, tend to be through action which is not ideal for large carp.

Carbon has made long rods fashionable but I still prefer 11' for my barbel fishing and often use 10' for carp. I've had lots of carp on rods of 9'3" (Hardy LRH1's) and even on 7 - 8' stalking rods, this includes several 30's. I reckon the LRH2 will stand more abuse and will still give you a good playing action with plenty of control under the rod tip.

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 am
Floater wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:31 pm Hello Everyone

Many thanks .

Why do you want an 11 footer Floater? Long cane rods are always heavy and, unless you find something specially made, tend to be through action which is not ideal for large carp.

Carbon has made long rods fashionable but I still prefer 11' for my barbel fishing and often use 10' for carp. I've had lots of carp on rods of 9'3" (Hardy LRH1's) and even on 7 - 8' stalking rods, this includes several 30's. I reckon the LRH2 will stand more abuse and will still give you a good playing action with plenty of control under the rod tip.
Hi Dave
I found casting to the far margins of my lake and reaching over near margin snags with my 9' 3" Scottie noticeably more difficult than with my longer rods ( which are not made of cane :secret: ) .
You've mentioned Hardy LRH2 , the same as Beresford so I must investigate this rod .
Thanks for all the other information as well .

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Harry wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:15 am Agutters used to do an 11' rod, but I don't know anyone who has one... they are down in Kent IIRC... :Hat:
Thanks Harry .

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Floater wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:01 am
Hi Dave
I found casting to the far margins of my lake and reaching over near margin snags with my 9' 3" Scottie noticeably more difficult than with my longer rods ( which are not made of cane :secret: ) .
You've mentioned Hardy LRH2 , the same as Beresford so I must investigate this rod .
Are you fairly new to cane Floater? Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but with a cane rod the casting action is quite different to carbon. You have to 'sweep' the rod forward and build up the power rather than the high speed flick with carbon. With a LRH1, an Abu 66 reel and a couple of ounces of lead, I can cast 75 yards at least. I have fished favoured swim at 50+ yards with them and have landed baits on a sixpence - a fairly large sixpence I admit but you catch my drift.

I recommended the LRH2 as it is more powerful and won't take on quite so many post-fight set angles as the One.

Happy hunting :Hat:

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:48 am
Floater wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:01 am
Hi Dave
Are you fairly new to cane Floater? Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but with a cane rod the casting action is quite different to carbon. You have to 'sweep' the rod forward and build up the power rather than the high speed flick with carbon. With a LRH1, an Abu 66 reel and a couple of ounces of lead, I can cast 75 yards at least. I have fished favoured swim at 50+ yards with them and have landed baits on a sixpence - a fairly large sixpence I admit but you catch my drift.

I recommended the LRH2 as it is more powerful and won't take on quite so many post-fight set angles as the One.

Happy hunting :Hat:
Nothing to forgive , Dave , as I am more or less a cane virgin , so anything you , or anyone else takes the time and effort to write I will read avidly .
Many thanks .
:Happy:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

To expand a little – I sent Floater a list of the 11' Carp rods I could think of. This included:

Paul Cook – Artisan in two test curves
Andrew Davis – Carpathia
Edward Barder – Bishop
Agutter – various

I added a few historic rods – these are all tricky to find and the first two might actually be one-off rods
Fosters Carp special
Davenport and Fordham carp special 10' 6" (dealer has one)
Sharpes (Weavers) Chris Ball Allrounder
Partridge
I forgot to add Shaun Lindsey Carp (dealer has one)
Oliver of Knebworth offered an 11' carp rod (likely to be very expensive if you can even find one)

Can anybody add further 11' rods to that list?

I sold my 11' Chapman as I found it both too powerful and too heavy for the way I like to fish. It also only just fitted in my rod cupboard and was nuisance in my small car. One day in the future if I find my fishing compromised by not having an 11' rod I'll probably buy another 11', for now though I'm quite happy with a 10' rod. I'm targeting fish up to low thirties and usually fishing very close in.

The advantages I see of a longer rod is being able to exert pressure from more angles, the ability to pick-up a longer line and a bit more leverage to keep fish out of the margins.

[Edited to add Oliver's rod]
Last edited by Beresford on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I'm no expert, but a friend has asked me to convert a split cane, 14ft heavy Salmon rod into a Carp rod (it has 3 sections plus a spare tip, all eyes are agate lined). He wants the butt section cut down and re corked, like a Chapman's 500/550, and the eyes shifted around to suite, this will leave him with a 12ft (approx) heavy rod, (I did tell him I have no idea what it will work like). The tip sections are quite a bit larger across the flats compared to my 550, and so on right down the rod. Maybe this would be a cheaper way of trying a cane rod, than some of the prices that would be charged by the makers mentioned in the thread, but as I don't fish for Carp that large, or at long distances, maybe I'm not the one to comment.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Rod wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:17 pm I'm no expert, but a friend has asked me to convert a split cane, 14ft heavy Salmon rod into a Carp rod (it has 3 sections plus a spare tip, all eyes are agate lined). He wants the butt section cut down and re corked, like a Chapman's 500/550, and the eyes shifted around to suite, this will leave him with a 12ft (approx) heavy rod, (I did tell him I have no idea what it will work like). The tip sections are quite a bit larger across the flats compared to my 550, and so on right down the rod. Maybe this would be a cheaper way of trying a cane rod, than some of the prices that would be charged by the makers mentioned in the thread, but as I don't fish for Carp that large, or at long distances, maybe I'm not the one to comment.
Rod :Hat:
This is likely to give a rod which is far more flexible than that required in the original post. Fly rods by their very nature have a very soft action in order to shoot the fly line out by the action of the rod recoiling. Overall, it will give a rod which will bend through almost all of its length. This happens with a MK IV, well certainly with mine, where playing hard fighting carp I've felt the handle bending. What is required in this instance is a rod with a far stiffer action.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”