11ft. Rod For Carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: 11ft. Rod For Carp

Post by Olly »

I too follow Shaun's example - slowly - slowly.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Agutters Flying Fox Mkvii Carp rod, Specially designed for long range carping. 11ft 9in.

Details from Agutters website

" Norman Agutters "The Flying Fox MKVII" IMP - 11' 9" length, 2 piece rod with 33" full cork handle. Titanium open bridge rod rings, claret close ties, reinforced ferule joints. This rod is very special as it is the first purpose designed Built Cane Carp Rod for casting distance. Now you can buy the genuine article and not a laminate imitation. The design is unique to give a through action in the tip section, based on a 120th of an inch taper and the last 5'9" the taper has been increased with a compound of 160th of an inch. Will cast up to 3 oz (remember bait weighs something when you buy a rod). With Arsley Bomb lead weight on tests by Alastair Agutter reached over 170 yards using a 2 oz weight and an Ambassador 6500c Multiplier."

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

170 yards with a 2oz weight and a 6500c I wonder what the size of the main line was to achieve that distance?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Possibly 6 or 8lb? Braid at - miniscule - thickness!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

170 yards is achievable with a 9' Dwarf C*rb*n rod and 2oz using 12lb line and a 25lb shockleader... not my cup of tea, but I surmise entirely do-able considering nearly 300 yards is possible with a 12' rod and 12lb line + shockleader... I don't see any probs achieving the 170 yard mark with 12lb mono on a cane rod.... although it's pobably like making ones granny run a hundred yeards... she could probably do it...Once... but she wouldn't like it regularly :Hahaha: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

Beresford wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:10 pm To expand a little – I sent Floater a list of the 11' Carp rods I could think of. This included:

Paul Cook – Artisan in two test curves
Andrew Davis – Carpathia
Edward Barder – Bishop
Agutter – various

I added a few historic rods – these are all tricky to find and the first two might actually be one-off rods
Fosters Carp special
Davenport and Fordham carp special 10' 6" (dealer has one)
Sharpes (Weavers) Chris Ball Allrounder
Partridge
I forgot to add Shaun Lindsey Carp (dealer has one)
Oliver of Knebworth offered an 11' carp rod (likely to be very expensive if you can even find one)

Can anybody add further 11' rods to that list?

I sold my 11' Chapman as I found it both too powerful and too heavy for the way I like to fish. It also only just fitted in my rod cupboard and was nuisance in my small car. One day in the future if I find my fishing compromised by not having an 11' rod I'll probably buy another 11', for now though I'm quite happy with a 10' rod. I'm targeting fish up to low thirties and usually fishing very close in.

The advantages I see of a longer rod is being able to exert pressure from more angles, the ability to pick-up a longer line and a bit more leverage to keep fish out of the margins.

[Edited to add Oliver's rod]
Yes, Ryan Burns does one in 11' with a 1 & 3/4 lb TC.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:52 pm Possibly 6 or 8lb? Braid at - miniscule - thickness!
I use a Japanese 8 strand braid for my lure fishing for Bass - Sunline Castaway, 12lb and 16lb. Japanese 8 strand is incredibly thin, supple and has very good abrasion resistance. It also casts like a dream, cutting straight through any wind.

Just two problems. First, I've tried it with my modern spinning reels on cane lure rods with low bell rings and it seems far more liable to tangle round them when casting (and more prone to wind knots) than it is with modern lure rods with the best Fuji rings. I haven't tried it with an older spinning reel yet as I'm convinced it would get behind a skirted spool. However, if I did, I'd probably try an ABU Cardinal as I've seen film of those boing used with 8 strand. Second, the cost of a 150 yard spools can be eye watering.

I stopped using 4 strand braid some years ago, so I haven't tried that on a traditional rod and reel but my guess is it would be better.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Given it's better casting and bite indication... the main downsides with braid are it's abrasiveness on rings and the fact that most fisheries ban it's use... it is as Duckett says obscenely expensive and a lot of it floats... not ideal... a friend of mine uses it and he's had no end of trouble with casting (wind Knots) and spends most of his time wetting his spools in summer to ensure he can get a cast in without getting horrific tangles and having to retackle regularly and he carries extra spools so he can swap over if the fishery doeesn't allow braided mainlines (which most do not)
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I believe that more pressure can be applied to the fish by a shorter rod?

As to bankside vegetation and bank undercuts when river fishing ------- :hairpull: The longer the better!

How long does nylon last - a year or two? Braid seems to last forever! But never ever load braid like nylon on the spool! Leaving a bigger depth/gap at the top of the spool will stop tangles. I also go by the diameter not the B/S so Berkley Fireline's 65 lb line is the equivalent of 14/15 lb nylon and 13kg Power Pro is only 0.23mm!

I never use braid with unlined eyes - or cane rods.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Quite an interesting thread which has split opinion. So far I’ve kept out of it as there’s very little factual evidence I could add.

I have fished with cane rods for carp at 9’ and 10’ lengths. They all handled carp to varying degrees but on the whole OK. They all had issues though once the limits of their design was reached ie: test curve, line pick up at distance, hit and hold tactics etc etc. On a couple of specific lakes they showed their weak spots in specific angling situations. No one rod covers everything. To overcome this I built a set of 12’ carp rods. Anyone interested can view them here :

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 6a40820f7c

Now since building them I’ve only managed one trip out and unfortunately a cold spell of -2 degrees at night kept the fishes heads down and I blanked. But using the rods over a 3 day period gave me an insight of what they felt like and I have to say for the general feel, they felt right. My modern rods are 12’ so this probably helps. I’m hoping to retire my modern rods and now use the cane ones exclusively

Unfortunately the cold weather put the fishes head down this time. A cold easterly wind during the daytime didn’t help either.

Rods in use but no fish to indicate how they behave unfortunately.

Now for the contentious bit. This is a Traditional Forum so we are talking cane here, not anything else unless we go down the fibreglass route. So how many people have actually fished for carp with a cane rod designed for carp over 11’? I’d wager very few. Lots of people with experience of 10’ MKIV’s or 9’ Sharpes etc. Now before I get a broadside, I count myself in this light as I haven’t had that much experience either, and haven’t had a fish on the longer rods yet, but from the initial feel I’m confident that they are a step in the right direction FOR ME. We all like different things. Someone else may hate them. But as fishing tools I think they will be spot on. They are not broomsticks and have a very mellow action ( I avoided a step up design to avoid this). They are rods for playing fish not winches and I think that is the advantage with a longer rod, it enhances the feeling when playing a fish.

MkIV’s at 10’ long for comparison.

I’m off to France in 3 weeks time and this year I’m fishing exclusively with cane rods, traditional reels, landing nets etc. The object is to test the rods ( to destruction if necessary) to find out what they can do.

Of course I could blank - but I will have had a full week to assess their general performance over 7 days, 24 hours a day. The

But at the end of it I should be able to make an informed decision on which type of rod is best FOR ME.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”