Efgeeco Rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Pentonhook
Dace

Re: Efgeeco Rods

Post by Pentonhook »

To be fair his feedback record is exemplary. I can't imagine that one would
jeopardise a reputation and what would seem a fairly profitable business
by doing a Tom Keating. Mind you I know nothing.

VernonBenables

Post by VernonBenables »

I would bet an Efgeeco bait box that they never marketed any rods.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Interesting comment from a fellow rod collector .

Hi Steve, I've had a look and there is no such thing....the AVOCET brand, along with GREBE, KINGFISHER, MOORHEN were under copyright to B. JAMES. Although KENNET, PERFECTION, Mk 1V CARP and AVON were not covered under any branding protection of these names. You will find that someone has put the AVOCET name on this to try to pass it off as a similar product to the B. JAMES originals. As for EFGEECO, who were of scandinavian origin....I doubt they would use this name....it would be more like VIKING or THOR.
The tapers of the rod look more like a wizard from the pics. Might be a nice rod to use, might be a bag of ----....sorry meant to say net of fish !!!!

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

traditionalangling wrote:As for EFGEECO, who were of scandinavian origin
I thought efgeeco was a british company, the name being made from the initials of the proprietor (F.G.) with co added, or is that an urban myth?

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

pduffield wrote:
traditionalangling wrote:As for EFGEECO, who were of scandinavian origin
I thought efgeeco was a british company, the name being made from the initials of the proprietor (F.G.) with co added, or is that an urban myth?
There is a lot of it about !

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

F. Goddard, wasn't it?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Vole wrote:F. Goddard, wasn't it?
Yes. I think F Goddard was John Goddard's father (or uncle, or somesuch) and they had a metalworking company based in London. After the war they started making folding seats for anglers, and gradually increased the range over the next twenty years, making rod rests, umbrellas, landing nets, tackle boxes, bait boxes, holdalls etc. Fred J Taylor worked for them as a sales rep for a while, and helped develop their Pomenteg groundbait with Dick Walker.

I think the firm hooked up with Geoffrey Bucknall and Sundridge in the late seventies, and eventually became absorbed into that company in the mid eighties.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

gloucesteroldspot wrote:
Yes. I think F Goddard was John Goddard's father (or uncle, or somesuch) and they had a metalworking company based in London. After the war they started making folding seats for anglers, and gradually increased the range over the next twenty years, making rod rests, umbrellas, landing nets, tackle boxes, bait boxes, holdalls etc. Fred J Taylor worked for them as a sales rep for a while, and helped develop their Pomenteg groundbait with Dick Walker.

I think the firm hooked up with Geoffrey Bucknall and Sundridge in the late seventies, and eventually became absorbed into that company in the mid eighties.
Hi you forgot the rods ?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

traditionalangling wrote:
gloucesteroldspot wrote:

Hi you forgot the rods ?
Sorry - you've lost me there.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Well I enjoy "hoovering" the web but I cannot find any mention of an Efgeeco fishing rod.

The story so far:

Efgeeco is an abbreviation for Fred Goddard and Co Ltd, fishing tackle manufacturers who were based in Balham, South London. They were bought by the East anglian rod company in the 80's

They produced tackle boxes, bait boxes, reel bags, rod rests, landing nets, float and hook wallets, canvas holdalls, the revolutionary Optonic bite detector and not forgetting the fabulous Pakaseat.

It appears that John Goddard ("The Passionate Angler", published by the Medlar Press) worked for the family firm and may have been the inventor of the Pakaseat. :hat:

(John) Andrews of Arcadia may be a good source: in a recent post he spoke of a contact who worked at the Balham works in the 60’s.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”