Serin Midge

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Simon F
Ruffe

Serin Midge

Post by Simon F »

Does anyone know anything of the maker of this rod? It is a Serin Midge a small light fly rod. The label says "maker SERIN Red Bluff Ca." and written around the rod is "7 3/4 Midge".

This puzzles me as it is not, and never was 7 foot, nor is it a 3/4 weight, it works much better with a #5 line, but at close range. I wonder if it meant 73 inches as that is its length ( or was before a bloody great rainbow dashed from under a bush, crashed on to my fly and snapped the rod at the ferrule on the tip section, it repaired well but is now 1" shorter ).

It is a pleasant short twig to Fish with on tiny streams and under and around trees.
Image Image Image Image
``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Rod
Grayling

Re: Serin Midge

Post by Rod »

I know absolutely nothing about fly rods, but when you said "Ca" the first thing that came to mind was the USA, as they use this sort of abbreviation to denote which State, in address's.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I too know nothing about this rod but as suggested and as you probably know Red Bluff is a town in California on the Sacramento River I think... Yes those numbers do sound confusing but I tell you what, it's a beautiful looking little thing. Thanks for showing us... :Hat: Can I ask what reel you team it with? :cheers:

Simon F
Ruffe

Post by Simon F »

I have an old 3 1/8 Hardy Uniqua - this one...

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Powell Rod Company had a shop in Red Bluff Ca. According to a book extract he, Walton Powell, was a well respected cane rod maker.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7h6 ... ods&f=fals

Hope that works!!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Simon F wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm I have an old 3 1/8 Hardy Uniqua - this one...

Very nice! :cheers:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Simon did you find anything more of interest on this builder? I've just aquired a Serin. Mine is 77in for a 4 (at least in my hand) over the short distances it gets used. It has no inscription at all but does have a spare tip.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”