FJ or JF Mk1 Avon.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: FJ or JF Mk1 Avon.

Post by Loop Erimder »

AshbyCut wrote:
Mushy wrote:Looking good Mal, I took the plunge on inters also and went for it on my Floatcaster, all 15 done now :Chuckle:
erm ... I have 130 on the tip section alone !!! :shocked:

130 on the tip :shocked: I had 130 altogether when I did my Barbus babylon
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm using the tip of my B James Kennet Perfection as a pattern ... and that has 126 on the tip.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Don't know if this is the 'right' way' ... but it's how I'm doing each area between guides ... with a single length of thread. Taped in place at one end ... wrapped to the first mark, three turns back on itself ... them moving on to the next mark under pressure. When done, all the intermediates are given a coat of sealer which acts as a glue. When dry, a very sharp scalpel blade is used to take off the spare thread between whippings ... in this section 20 individuals.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I suspect this is the way Allcocks did them as, when I stripped my Wizard, there was a visible nick in the cane at every inter position, unless of course this was their method of marking where the inters go :Confused:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

AshbyCut wrote:Don't know if this is the 'right' way' ... but it's how I'm doing each area between guides ... with a single length of thread. Taped in place at one end ... wrapped to the first mark, three turns back on itself ... them moving on to the next mark under pressure. When done, all the intermediates are given a coat of sealer which acts as a glue. When dry, a very sharp scalpel blade is used to take off the spare thread between whippings ... in this section 20 individuals.

Mal I tried it this way to begin with and it didn't turn out very good at all and looked messy. I sealed them then took off the bit in between and it left a mark. I think you would have to be extremley neat and tidy when sealing and not to seal the bit in between, scraping away the excess was too time consuming and too fiddly. In less you have mastered this way

You can see where the bits in between were
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Loop Erimder wrote:scraping away the excess was too time consuming and too fiddly.
Believe me Loop, Sir ... time isn't a problem. I've managed to do the entire butt and part of the tip section since this morning and ... as Mrs. AC says ... 'fiddly stuff' keeps me out of pubs !!! Hic !!!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

AshbyCut wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:scraping away the excess was too time consuming and too fiddly.
Believe me Loop, Sir ... time isn't a problem. I've managed to do the entire butt and part of the tip section since this morning and ... as Mrs. AC says ... 'fiddly stuff' keeps me out of pubs !!! Hic !!!
Well if i'd known that i'd sent my rod to you too :doh: :Thumb:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I suppose if I had thought about it a bit more.......a tiny dab of sealer on both sides of the inters where the thread starts and leaves the inters, let dry, sharp scalpel, then seal the inters fully.......... :doh:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

All intermediates now complete, and the final count was 199. I almost feel like squeezing another one in just to male to double century !!! Almost !!!!!

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Another little wonder of your hands,Sir.Superb in my opinion

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”