FJ or JF Mk1 Avon.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

FJ or JF Mk1 Avon.

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks to JohnClyde this rod arrived with me yesterday, and I've been able to give it my undivided attention this morning.

The first thing that struck me when I took the rod from the bag was that the guides on the butt section were not in line with the nicely done logo and writing. The rod has obviously been stripped and re-whipped in gold at some point ... very well in the main ... but I suspect that the hook keeper whipping is actually original. Whether the guides were whipped on deliberately 'off centre,' or whether it was an accident ... who can say !

I also noted that there are the shadows of some very fine intermediate whippings, which are very precise at 3/4 inch apart for the length of the section. (I hope they show in the photo below.) I can see no evidence of the shame shadows on the tip section.

The handle is a lovely 'onion' style and is 25 1/2 inches in length (including button).

The tip and butt guides are in good condition, as are the intermediates, and the ferrule set, slide bands and butt cap are quality items ... but without any markings on them.

On putting the rod together it measures 10ft 1 1/2 inches long (including button). With the guides in line there is a distinct 'bend' but, when I turned the tip section to line up with the monogram on the butt it significantly reduces. There's also a slight 'droop' in the tip ... so when I rebuild it I'll whip the butt guides back in line with the monogram, and turn the tip through 180 degrees. (The photos below show the rod with guides in line , and then with the tip guides turned to line up with the monogram.)

There are some 'extra' intermediate whippings on the ferrule end of the tip section but, having been over it with a magnifying glass I can see no reason for it. Perhaps it may become apparent when I remove the varnish, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

From interest, I have taken measurements of the taper at places matched to my "Harvey Torbett" and a Chapman's 500 :-

The figures are as follows ...

Chapman's 500. Handle 24 inches. Tip taper 0.133" - 0.281". Centre taper 0.322" - 0.422". Total weight 11.1 oz.

Harvey Torbett. Handle 25.5 inches. Tip taper 0.106" - 0.285". Centre taper 0.313" - 0.472". Total weight 11.9oz.

FJ/JF Mk1 Avon. Handle 25.5 inches. Tip taper 0.114" - 0.266". Butt section 0.277" - 0.442". Total weight 10.9 oz.

If anyone can identify any of the rod furnishings, I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts, of course.

All in all I think it will make a fine rod ... and I think you can see why I couldn't resist the temptation !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: FJ or JF Mk1 Avon.

Post by Santiago »

Are those taper figures with the varnish still on?? That rod looks oddly like a JB Walker MKIV avon kit rod, and all the dimensions just about match, and the cane is gloriously dark, and the ferrules are the same! Well done Sir Ashby!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Yes Santiago, Sir ... all measurements with varnish in place.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I wouldn't bet against it being a JB Walker MKIV avon, it has all the hallmarks of one of those rods! Well done!

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Santiago, Sir ... the JB Walker has a 24" handle, according to the catalogue I've seen.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions ... but those 'shadows' of intermediate whippings long ago removed ... are precisely the same spacing and width as those on my B. James and Son "Kennet Perfection."

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I saw one with a 25" handle, but I might be confused with a B James. But I know where the info is on the forum so will add a link when I find it!

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=8117

It's the B James MkIV Avon with the 25" full cork handle, and that's what I think it might be!! :Thumb:

Bumble will know for sure what you have!

Most reports I've seen mention the MKIV Avon having a 25" handle, and those ferrules are exactly the same as B James used (I think)

Hemingway

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have a couple of B.James rods with ferrules that look identical to those in AC's photos if that is of any help.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thank you PH, Sir, That helps a great deal. I have a growing feeling that it's a B. James and Son Mk IV Avon butt which, at some point, had the original tip section lost or broken. Another tip blank
has been acquired from somewhere, and the whole rod stripped and re-whipped to make it look like a 'unit.' Sadly, they removed the original name, and replaced it with the nicely made personal monogram ... not that will make any difference to how it fishes !

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”