One Man, One Rod.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: One Man, One Rod.

Post by Penninelad »

I have purchased this lovely book.If anyone knows David Petty could he be persuaded to give us a little more information about the rods.I purchased a number of glass fibre rods from Olivers of Knebworth(all stolen in 1994!) and used to regularly receive their catalogues which did not retain so do not have any information.
Mark Davies

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Penninelad wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:08 am I have purchased this lovely book.If anyone knows David Petty could he be persuaded to give us a little more information about the rods.I purchased a number of glass fibre rods from Olivers of Knebworth(all stolen in 1994!) and used to regularly receive their catalogues which did not retain so do not have any information.
Could you be a little more specific about the rods you require information for.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Interesting request … I was discussing this with a knowledgeable friend a couple of days back when I received the book. The measurements are there, the ringing and tapers are visible from the photographs and certainly the better rods are known for certain capabilities. What more can one write given that many of us that have had more than one of the same model will tell you that each individual rod is different from its siblings. The prices are pretty steady these days so best sort through what you think will suit you and when you find 'the feel' you want keep it and enjoy using it.
I'm still tingling when I turn the pages of this book..it really is quite an achievement :Hat:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

It is visually a stunning book. Great glossy pictures which have made it much easier to wipe the drool from the pages.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I received my copy last week and for me this book is a big disappointment . The pictures are good, but they are all the same for all the rods. There is no detail for example for a special ferrule design or a certain style of grip, guides...
As if the photographer had absolutely no idea of what is important to the viewer. He could as well have photographed oranges of different origin. Or boxes or ...
There is almost no text. No explanation of design features, no history, no hint to different models of the same rod.
The text on buying rods is a re-print of a text that was published years ago in The Planing Form I believe. Nothing new, nothing really helpful, just common sense bla bla.
I am almost at the point to send it back and ask my money back but it’s too complicated.
Others have done better, for example J. Hatton in Rod Crafting. A really good book, same subject but for american fly rods at half the price 1000 times better.
I can really not recommend this one except if you like to look at pictures of cane rods without any explanatory note.
Sorry, Bobby

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Bobby Marlene wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm I received my copy last week and for me this book is a big disappointment . The pictures are good, but they are all the same for all the rods. There is no detail for example for a special ferrule design or a certain style of grip, guides...
As if the photographer had absolutely no idea of what is important to the viewer. He could as well have photographed oranges of different origin. Or boxes or ...
There is almost no text. No explanation of design features, no history, no hint to different models of the same rod.
The text on buying rods is a re-print of a text that was published years ago in The Planing Form I believe. Nothing new, nothing really helpful, just common sense bla bla.
I am almost at the point to send it back and ask my money back but it’s too complicated.
Others have done better, for example J. Hatton in Rod Crafting. A really good book, same subject but for american fly rods at half the price 1000 times better.
I can really not recommend this one except if you like to look at pictures of cane rods without any explanatory note.
Sorry, Bobby
I guess its all about expectations Bobby. As I stated earlier most of the measurements are there and one can see ringing etc. To provide what you are seeking would cost a fortune in time and resource and this book is probably enough for most of us. Already I find myself reaching for it most days for instance there is a Paul Cook restored Hardy Perfection Roach on an auction site at moment and could be a Mk 1... researching it now as both in book are Mk2's and being just an angler I never knew there were two versions. Its a great book, so handy, and if you don't want it I'll buy it and give it away as a gift to someone who would appreciate it.
Aquaerial

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Aquaerial wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 pm
Bobby Marlene wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm I received my copy last week and for me this book is a big disappointment . The pictures are good, but they are all the same for all the rods. There is no detail for example for a special ferrule design or a certain style of grip, guides...
Sorry, Bobby
I guess its all about expectations Bobby. As I stated earlier most of the measurements are there and one can see ringing etc. To provide what you are seeking would cost a fortune in time and resource and this book is probably enough for most of us. Already I find myself reaching for it most days for instance there is a Paul Cook restored Hardy Perfection Roach on an auction site at moment and could be a Mk 1... researching it now as both in book are Mk2's and being just an angler I never knew there were two versions. Its a great book, so handy, and if you don't want it I'll buy it and give it away as a gift to someone who would appreciate it.
I concur with your findings Aquaerial - I guess if your a builder this book will not be of much use but as a go to reference for collectors or cane user enthusiasts I think it to be superb, I have never seen so much cane in one book ever - as a cane user I have been supplied with a never ending dipping into tomb. Knowing the production values on this book would as you say come in at stratospheric cost to buy if all of the extra material was included.

I wonder just how many hours people think it took to produce the photographs? 150 rods, all shot and then masked in photoshop and tweaked with the colour palette - then digitally prepped for print. An incredible endeavour.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Aquaerial wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 pm
Sorry, Bobby
Yes, you are absolutely right. I think I was a bit harsh in my review. It is a very nicely produced book with many, many photographs and for most readers it will be perfectly up to their expectations. It was just my personal disappointment that I should not vent on a public forum.
Still, I think a few extra explanatory words for each of the rods would have enhanced the value of the book for everyone without adding too much work or cost.
I will put it on the shelf and from time to time look at the fantastic photographs.
Thanks sll, Bobby

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I don't think you should chastise yourself for giving your opinion BM. That's what forums are for. Doesn't sound like a book that would necessarily be for makers such as yourself more of a 'coffee table' read? It's info on glass rods I'd like to see compiled.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Liphook wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:06 pm I don't think you should chastise yourself for giving your opinion BM. That's what forums are for. Doesn't sound like a book that would necessarily be for makers such as yourself more of a 'coffee table' read? It's info on glass rods I'd like to see compiled.
Now that would be nice... I'm a big fan of glass rods and relative to better cane they are great value. I agree this forum is about opinion and I might add reflection so it took a lot of humility for Bobby to respond to my view for which respect is due :Hat:
Now where were we..ah yes... I'm thinking of my Match Specials that I have not had out since I moved to within walking distance of the Yare from walking distance of the Thet. As dace rods I cannot recall them ever bumping a fish...Spanish reed and glass tips...transition rods I suppose but absolutely marvellous for those enlightened to enjoy a supper of what is neither fish nor fowl.
Aquaerial

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”