Bernard & Sons of St James’s, London SW

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
John-A
Stickleback

Bernard & Sons of St James’s, London SW

Post by John-A »

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a beautiful 9 foot 2-piece built cane fly rod by Bernard & Sons and would like to know more about this company and their rods if possible please.

I’ll try to upload some photographs soon, but my last two attempts to load photos a few months ago failed dismally

Any info gratefully received.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Bernard & Sons of St James’s, London SW

Post by Tonkin Wand »

A little, but I am sure others will chip in later:- .......John Bernard.. 4 Church Passage, Piccadilly ..... 1839 Pigot's Directory London..............Edward Bernard .....North Audley St.... c....1850........Henry Bernard c1881 ? J Bernard & son...... 5 Church Place Piccadilly......1, Church Place c1870.......J Bernard & son..... 6 Jermyn St..........?..45 Jermyn St .....c1926.......J. Bernard & son ....... 45 Pall Mall SW1... c 1931 ..... ( got about a bit ....Regards Tony

John-A
Stickleback

Post by John-A »

Many thanks for your reply, I still haven't managed to get good photos uploaded, but will do so before the weekend....I hope !

Looks like this is a post 1931 item as the engraving on the brass butt cap reads: 'Bernard & Sons of St James’s, London SW.', which I assume will make it from the 45 Pall Mall address.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Again, Assume you are correct for now . I have had no luck to date in finding this company in the telephone book c. 1930s on ancestory.com.which is not very helpful.so don't know how long they remained trading.The other way to look is upon advertisements and many of the angling buffs have a depth of knowledge. Any offers chaps ? I am unclear about the Jermyn Street listings for I made rough notes from items for sale on (you know from where ) one "s" on son makes a world of difference.I hope this ramble leds to more info for you. regards Tony

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Just had a look at my old rod and the butt engraving reads Bernard and son. It is a heavy three section rod with two tips and has screw lock type ferrules.

John-A
Stickleback

Post by John-A »

Hello Reedling,

Sorry that my thanks has been slow, unfortunately had a few health problems over the holiday season, but that's exactly how my fly rod is constructed.

The engraving on the brass butt cap exactly as yours. My apology, it is Bernard & Son, not Sons. The joint has screw-lock ferrules too. This is in such lovely condition that I'm hoping to give it a gentle work-out in the spring.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've just found a reel for sale, engraved with J.Bernard and Son, Makers, 5 Church Place, Piccadilly, London.

But they were also in Jermyn Street at some time and at 45 Pall Mall.

A lot of game angling tackle makers had a shop in St.James, including Milward.

Bernards are a bit important as they took on real apprentices...something Allcock, for example, never did.

Bernard's head rod maker Edwin Egginton was allowed by Bernards to take on his own sons, Christopher and Harry and after WW1 they set up shop together as Eggingtons of Merton in 1920.

The two 'boys' later claimed in their advertisments that they were the last London apprenticed rod makers in the country. They were in business until 1972.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Yes, I have seen that reel advertised there is also a rod of Bernards on the same site. Both have failed to sell previously! Eggington is also of interest to me. I have a Roach pole by the maker abet seen better times. (its not for sale).I wished to see the old premises at Merton High Street and photo it. Now a hair dressers.Had to wait until Xmas a few years ago to get my chance for a snap on a Bank holiday. I, we suceeded for much to my surprise my then partner wanted to come along for the drive ! If I had suggested that I don't think a repeatable response would have been forthcoming.Tony

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, have you seen this magazine article about Eggingtons?

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”