"The Trent"

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

"The Trent"

Post by AshbyCut »

Just starting an attempt to bring this rod back into some sort of life.

Going by the measurements of the butt and middle sections ... this is a 3 piece, 12 ft. 6 inch rod with whole cane butt and middle sections, and a whole cane/split cane spliced tip.

Sadly ... the whole cane in all three sections has a total of 5 splits in it (the longest nearly 8 inches) ... so it will be out with the Cascamite and drawing on the experience I gained from working on my Allcock's 'Isis.'

Not only this ... but the tip section is also short, missing about 2 feet ...and had an intermediate guide bent to resemble a tip guide whipped in place at the end of what was left. Fortunately ... my 'box of bits' as produced a fly rod tip which, whilst not perfect in taper (judging by what's left of the original), will allow me to produce a rod which will be approximate in action.

If nothing else, it's another learning experience ... but worth trying to make something of it if only because of the makers name etched into the butt cap.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

JohnL

Re: "The Trent"

Post by JohnL »

Now that really looks a challenge AC, I looks forward to seeing the results.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

JohnL wrote:Now that really looks a challenge AC, I looks forward to seeing the results.
Be prepared for much grinding and gnashing of teeth, Sir !!! :Hahaha:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

You have a good project on your hands there AC, looking forward to seeing this progress.

If you give those splits a good clean out with folded sand paper before gluing, a jubilee clip or two will usually close them up until the glue dries..

Wal.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Looks like a challenge and a half Mal. Sure it will be a good un though and even if not it'll keep you out of mischief for a while.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

And so it begins ... a good day. Having stripped the rod I I found that the shaped cane around the splice on the tip was in bad shape, so decided to saw it off half an inch below the splice point and start fresh.

I drilled the split cane out of the spliced joint VERY carefully with a Dremel, cut the new tip to length, shaped the end of the split cane so that 2.25 inches will be glued into the joint, and using a craft knife and fine grade silicon carbide paper I shaped the splice joint on the whole cane to make the joint. It needs a little cleaning up, but I can glue it tomorrow. The rod now measures 12 ft 3 inches with a button and tip guide put on temporarily, and I have a complete rod.

The joint will be epoxied, and I'll use Cascamite, of course, for the splits in the whole cane.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Brave man. Best of luck. It looks like a good start
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Yes I would love to try this but it looks tricky. Mind AC is making it look easy.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Hovis wrote:Yes I would love to try this but it looks tricky. Mind AC is making it look easy.
erm ... don't be fooled, Sir ... I'm just stumbling through in my usual 'enthusiastic amateur' fashion !!! Let's face it ... I can't make it any worse !!! :Wink:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I feel some what guilty as I sold you the rod but am full of admiration for your efforts,which just confirm my view that renovating this rod was beyond my limited skills.Could I offer you a days fishing somewhere to salve my conscience?
Mark Davies

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”