Mapperley yesterday.

This forum belongs to Mapperley Reservoir.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Mapperley yesterday.

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Shaun

Did you have that walk with Carol? I'd love to get a TFF group visit pencilled in for the new year, perhaps in the spring??
Although it is only a few miles away I must admit - no I didn't get round to it.

Usual scenario where you don't tend to visit places on your doorstep.

It isn't going to look its best for pictures now the leaves are gone.

I must make a little more effort to at least take the Kelly Kettle for a walk in the Spring if there is a gathering.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Oh yes please do, you will be more than welcome to attend our gathering. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Unless my eyes deceive me, Albert's carp is billed not merely as being a British record for the time but as a "World Record on rod & line" [looking closely at the writing in the case].

According to BB, Albert gaffed the fish & carted it off [along with several others] in a hand cart to be weighed & set up.

Doubt he'd get welcomed to the carpfishers guild today :chuckle:

No wonder the fish doesn't look too happy !

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I would be up for a visit, but not driving i'd have to see if any of the London lads were going.

Gaz

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Indeed it was gaffed as most big fish were in the day. We must remember most fish at the time were generally caught to be eaten.

The first few big fish caught at Redmire were killed. Clarissa or Ravioli whichever name you choose to refer to Richard walkers fish was the first British record to be kept alive although as we all know that was removed from the home it had grown in. Chris Yates was the fist angler to return a record carp in the U.K.

It's great how quickly fish welfare has progressed. In 1985 I travelled to St Cassien. The first carp I saw caught had the oar smashed over its head as soon as it was landed.

I met Didier Cottin there who made a big name for himself in France. He showed me his album and most of the carp were hanging on meat hooks. Give him his due though once the U.K. anglers started fishing there Didier certainly started to return his fish.

The Eastern Europeans get a lot of bad press. I sell a lot of bait in Romania, Croatia, Slovenia, Russia and so on. I write in three different Romanian magazines as well as others and they are very pro catch and release over there now. Possibly not at the stage the French are but they aren't many years behind.

Sorry everyone, I got a little carried away with this last post. I was only originally confirming that Albert's fish was gaffed - you can see the gaff mark on the other side of the cased fish.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Just remembered a related Bog I wrote on April Fools day 2011. Not that April Fools day has much relevance. I have only just noticed the date I wrote it. http://www.questbaits.com/blog/killing- ... -moved-on/

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Does make you think doesn't it.....

I've always wondered what Clarrissa would have looked like in colour, whether she'd have grown much larger if left in the pool.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Or the Bob Richards fish and others as the strain certainly had the potential to continue to grow.

I bet a lot of those gudgeon were eaten by them.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

...and the really huge fish that were sighted but never caught. Surely their bodies would have been discovered at such a small pool.

As for the gudgeon, I'm surprised nobody has thought to bring out a Gudgeon Extract Boilie yet.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I have never tasted a gudgeon although they are eaten in other places. The 'smell' of a gudgeon is always pleasant to my senses and certainly in my eel fishing days a half a gudgeon (the head half was best) was certainly a bait the eels preferred over most other freshwater fish I used. Some baits once frozen seemed to lose their appeal to the eels but a frozen then thawed out gudgeon was still a great bait.

Hope someone doesn't start raping our gudgeon stocks. We don't have anywhere near as many in these parts as we used to have but amazingly before my garden pool was polluted I found a shoal of gudgeon that had never been stocked. Nature had delivered them.

Return to “Mapperley Reservoir”