Salmon spinning?

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
Cat
Chub

Salmon spinning?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of spinning for salmon on UK rivers (and with any success)? I'm thinking about the idea of treating myself to a day ticket (if possible and reasonably priced?) when all this is over in the future. I (used to!) travel quite widely through Lowland Scotland for work, and spend much time in Cornwall being married to a Cornish girl, but I also wonder if with stocks as they are, if it's a completely pointless exercise?
Regards Cat

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Salmon spinning?

Post by Tengisgol »

My best buddy got one on the Wye a few years ago, somewhere between 15lbs and 20lbs, on a Devon minnow. It only took him about ten years but he loved every minute of it and boy did we go bonkers that night!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Willow And Cane
Ruffe

Post by Willow And Cane »

Cat,
The River Wear is my local river and I often spin for salmon when the conditions allow.
I tend to use flying C s and plain mepps.
Another good method is spinning or float fishing the purple or ruby prawn which when the water is good can produce good size fish.
If you are going to buy a day ticket then try to get the timing right as spinning can be all or nothing depending upon the water level and temperature.
Mind I have had good results while spinning for salmon with other species being taken such as double figure barbel and large perch.
Give it a go and enjoy the chance of getting a nice fresh run silver. :Hat:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Life's too short. I have the opportunity to fish for salmon but choose not to do so. They are in decline and I don't want to add to their problems.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Many years ago I fished the Nith, Wye, Seven, Blackwater for salmon. Spinning only ever produced 1 fish a brown trout.

Fly was better but again no salmon, plenty of sea trout and brown trout.

I did use the Flying C when they first came out and friends had some good results.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Whilst still not as abundant as in the past by any means, salmon in many rivers did stage a bit of a recovery in numbers of running fish last year. Ironic as angling was dramatically reduced by the viral lock downs! I wouldn't say it's a definite sign of a positive recovery as these things are thought to be cyclical but if I thought salmon were really that endangered on the rivers I fish I wouldn't still be fishing for them. The EA hardly encourage the sport what with license costs, method restrictions and lack of direct investment and leadership in sorting out our rivers real problems....
The flying c can be deadly as can plugs when they are running. It can be difficult to find water where the rules allow spinning on anything but big spate water. Where are you thinking of fishing/ going to be based Cat?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tried it once and caught a six pounder on the Towy. I was using a Devon Minnow lure borrowed from my mate who'd failed to catch a salmon there in ten years of trying. I felt it a good time to retire :Chuckle:

However, there are fewer places where spinning is permitted nowadays and catch and release is common too. The salmon is struggling on many of our rivers despite much of the work being done to protect them and their spawning grounds. I suggest that if the urge is strong, go for it whilst you can.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
Thank you for your replies. The urge isn't necessarily overbearing, but rather a thought, even dream...in particular to try out the spinning rods I've restored and repaired over lockdown - Rudge Streamline, Falcon Monarch, Martin James Leame De Luxe - and use them for their original purpose. I was ideally (idealistic!) thinking of a Cornish river - Tamar, Camel, or one in the Scottish Borders. However, I'm getting a distinct impression it may be a bit of a time consuming wild goose / salmon chase methinks!
Regards Cat

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I know that maintaining and funding a fishery needs some day tickets and is an important thing.

But with the challenges the salmon is facing, I would not be happy chucking trebles at them.

Fly fishing will protect the fish and almost certainly keep them wet. Whilst giving the angler a 5 star experience.

Although I will admit to having a glass rod and abu multiplier shoved into my hands on the Wye in the 70s!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I was fortunate to llve a short walk from one of the lesser Welsh spate rivers, the Tawe. I enjoyed more than a decade of good sport with migratory fish and most of my Salmon came on the Flyrod at night whilst after Sea Trout. There is nothing quite like a Salmon on rod and line and given the opportunity and the stamina? I would jump at the chance of a week somewhere with a possibility of a fish. So I would say go for it and the best of luck to you. One bit of advice I would give is if you do have the stamina then stick at it, whole days if you can with maybe half hour breaks now and then. Reason being Salmon are the most unpredictable of fish. A beat can seem absolutely dead for hours on end then suddenly it happens with no apparent trigger. I've seen this happen so many times. One notable occasion took place one September. I had encouraged an old mate to forsake his armchair with the promise of an almost guaranteed fish if we fished a couple of hours each side of midday. The river was perfect, ten inches on and the colour of a good bitter. At 4pm we gave up, not a sign of a fish. As we left, Ian another mate was just arriving to fish. A couple of hours later I took the dog down to the pool to see how Ian was faring. I arrived to find him with rod hooped over playing his fifth Salmon!

Return to “Lure Fishing”