Floating Frog

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
Stour Otter
Grayling

Floating Frog

Post by Stour Otter »

Having recently removed this lure from bank side branches at our local club lake water, I was not only shocked to find it was being used in a lake that contained no predatory species. But one of our younger club members saw no reason why it could not be used for catching carp! . . "but Carp will take lures, no different to fly fishing in a way. And is fishing for Carp with artificial baits, be it spinner for fly prohibited?", he wrote.
I have not answered the gentleman's questions, because I just don't know where to start. I personally see a vast difference between fishing with a fly rod, but using marshmallows on a fly rod for carp, as opposed using a spinner, something I simply would not have dreamt of.
The lake in question is stocked full of carp, some running to high teens in weight, although the majority are in the three to ten pounds mark. Anyone attempting to catch these fish on a 5" lure/spinner, would surely realize that there is a high chance of snagging fish and damaging the fish stocks that you have.
Some how it just does not seem the thing to do, or am I just old fashioned!

Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Aitch
Pike

Re: Floating Frog

Post by Aitch »

there have been many occasions where carp have been taken on not normally recognised methods... FJ Taylor used trebles for carp when he'd overcooked the potato baits and they wouldn't stay on the hook, I have personally caught a carp that was fairly hooked in the mouth on a sprat deadbait intended for Pike, I have also caught on a fly rod with a hair-rigged cork ball whilst feeding dog mixers, that said I wouldn't use a lure....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Harry wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:30 pm there have been many occasions where carp have been taken on not normally recognised methods... FJ Taylor used trebles for carp when he'd overcooked the potato baits and they wouldn't stay on the hook, I have personally caught a carp that was fairly hooked in the mouth on a sprat deadbait intended for Pike, I have also caught on a fly rod with a hair-rigged cork ball whilst feeding dog mixers, that said I wouldn't use a lure....

Harry. I tried some "Deer Hair" tied, dog biscuit imitations on my last visit, from an auction site. While they greedily accepted the real thing, I couldn't get them anywhere near the artificials.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That must surely have been a poacher, I find it difficult to think that a club member would have resorted to such tactics?
I had no idea that carp would take an imitation bait like that, they don't eat frogs do they?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Stour Otter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 pm
Harry wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:30 pm there have been many occasions where carp have been taken on not normally recognised methods... FJ Taylor used trebles for carp when he'd overcooked the potato baits and they wouldn't stay on the hook, I have personally caught a carp that was fairly hooked in the mouth on a sprat deadbait intended for Pike, I have also caught on a fly rod with a hair-rigged cork ball whilst feeding dog mixers, that said I wouldn't use a lure....

Harry. I tried some "Deer Hair" tied, dog biscuit imitations on my last visit, from an auction site. While they greedily accepted the real thing, I couldn't get them anywhere near the artificials.
I bought some of those when I went to Canada years ago... I too never caught anything on them :Hahaha:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm That must surely have been a poacher, I find it difficult to think that a club member would have resorted to such tactics?
I had no idea that carp would take an imitation bait like that, they don't eat frogs do they?
They absolutely love tadpoles including when they almost look like a frog with legs and hardly a tail, so I would imagine they do. But I must admit I can't ever remember seeing one take a frog. I will keep a closer eye this year on my pool.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

When I was a youngster fishing the old Brooklands lake at Dartford I saw a swimming frog taken by a huge fish by the island lily pads, it shocked me at the time and was probably a Pike but there were some big carp in there so who knows.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Sounds like you have a poacher who has no idea what fish are in your lake. No right minded angler would think about let alone use such a plug for carp fishing.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

A carp would take anything that’s in a lake when hungry,that would fit in its mouth,the lure has a weed guard that would stop foul hooking,but in my eyes for pike or perch only ,mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Many coarse fish take live baits ~~ and lures be they fly or spinner.

Marshall- Hardy recommended a tandem spinner for rudd! I have caught bream, chub and roach on tiny spinners whilst fishing for perch. As said above carp can/will eat live or dead fish - protein.

Strangest captures a fish bait was a tench and big bream from Grafham on a sunken fry fly! Plus a huge salmon on a spinner - on the front of book.

The frog spinner - note the weed free hook - is for ploughing through the lilies - for pike.

Return to “Lure Fishing”