float ledgering

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Bjp
Chub

float ledgering

Post by Bjp »

i know pushing the ledgering boundries a little but i am thinking of float ledgering on my local water for the carp.

there are people who say it is more sensitive than straight ledgering because the float is a lot nearer and above the bait than a bobbin to register the bite back at the rod

Others say the boyancy of the float does not make the rig sensitive because the fish is pulling on all the unloaded float to show a bite.

what are your views gentlemen and do any of you fish this method if so any tips that you can pass on.

regards

bjp :Hat:

JohnL

Re: float ledgering

Post by JohnL »

Load the float at its base, you just need enough buoyancy to counteract drift, of course you could just lay on with the float so I've never really seen the need to float ledger but it does work.

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

Ive only once used this method and was not too fond of it.
If im fishing close enough spots so that i can see sensitive small floats good enough i can also use the laying on method with them, and if im fishing further out and need to ledger id need to use a bigger float wich would make it quite insensitive, at least thats my theory.

Another issue with it is that with a normal float setup i can see the bite developing and give the fish a little room to play. The same i can do with a bobbin. But when i use a float and a ledger rig its only going down fast without much bite development showing. Its either up or down but never showing the process very good.

For me its just combining the worst of both worlds, though, as said, only used it once and i am absolutely no expert on the topic.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd rather quiver tip!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I like float ledgering, from the basic lift method, to using a drilled bullet or a Polaris type set up, more useful at distance, having another string for your bow......

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

I had ago at it today for the first time. I found it very effective and great fun. The quick bites made it exiting I thought. Makes you accurate aswell because you can really tell what's going on as far and levels go on the bottom

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

As I almost alway fish within 20mtrs and on stillwaters, a straight float rig is my first choice, mainly set lift method, if I need to go out more a method feeder, I do not see any advantage in the float ledger rig over them for my type of fishing.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

For information, I offer the following from "Billy Lane's Encyclopedia of Float Fishing" where he explains the use of this technique to counter a combination of windy conditions on a fast flowing, deep swims.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

AC that's a great book for a long time I followed his shotting patterns to the tee.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Taprobanes wrote:As I almost alway fish within 20mtrs and on stillwaters, a straight float rig is my first choice, mainly set lift method, if I need to go out more a method feeder, I do not see any advantage in the float ledger rig over them for my type of fishing.
I would guess the main reason the float ledger used to be a popular method in the past is because they were many anglers who only ever wanted or preferred to fish using a float.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Ledgering”