float ledgering

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: float ledgering

Post by Paul F »

Just starting to use float legering tackles for perch on the wye, with very good sucess.

I modified some perch bobbers into sliders for fishing 8ft plus swims, by adding a small eye to the cork, it worked really well, showing positive bites.

I was really pleased i did not deeply hook a single perch, as bites were positive resulting in a firm strike.

I used just a few SSG's for weight, so i could lift gently and let the rig bouce downstream, very similar to stret pegging

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

Float ledgering is my favourite approach for close to medium range piking.

I have also found it useful, fishing shallow margins for carp, especially in windy conditions.

I like watching a float whenever I can!

The 'winegum' shaped lead (top) in the picture below is an interesting one, although far too old and rare to risk losing.

Screenshot_20230508-173739_Photos~3.jpg

It is a 'Stanner's Patent' float fishing lead. (A. E. Stanner patent No. 7514, 1946)

It can be clipped on and off without breaking down the tackle and would be placed above the bottom shot of an ordinary float tackle, to convert it into a running float ledger when set over depth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

My mate used to float ledger using a Drennan Swimfeeder, twice in one day, he retrieved his gear only to find his hooked maggots had crawled into the feeder and were safe from any fish that swims. :roll:

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Paul F wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 pm Just starting to use float legering tackles for perch on the wye, with very good sucess.

I modified some perch bobbers into sliders for fishing 8ft plus swims, by adding a small eye to the cork, it worked really well, showing positive bites.

I was really pleased i did not deeply hook a single perch, as bites were positive resulting in a firm strike.

I used just a few SSG's for weight, so i could lift gently and let the rig bouce downstream, very similar to stret pegging
This is a interesting perspective Paul.
I have used a similar set up with a Nottingham style slider.I have also made a couple of inline sliders using reed with some hollow plastic tubing running through the centre.
I also purchase a couple inline perch bobbers.
All work well.
The other thinking was some of the swims are a bit tight and I often use my 9ft Farlows Holdfast glass spinning rod as this is most useful in these situations as a short line can be achieved when flicking the float out and the slider knot passes through the rings without a hitch.....
All the best Nige.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Tried it years ago but was put off by too many line bites

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It's a great method for perch but not so good for finicky biters like bream, depending on their mood.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Ledgering”