Priory rod wisdom required

The Priory Rods of Bournemouth Rods forum.
Kingfisher15
Stickleback

Priory rod wisdom required

Post by Kingfisher15 »

Hi Gents

Thanks for allowing me into your knowledgeable and like minded group.
A friend of mine gave me a rod that had been in the family for a while.

He says it is a Priory, and it looks very much like one, but the label is a wee bit confusing.
It is 11' match rod style. Has the stepped aluminium butt piece. Bottom sections bamboo top section cane.

What is confusing, is that it says Bournemouth on label and inside it says 'Jubb or Gubb'. Vertically within the letters of the word Jubb or Gubb it also says 'the Anglers Depot Hull'.

Might this be a rod that Priory made for another dealer, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Would appreciate your wisdom.
Rgds Jim

PS Sorry don't seem to be able to send photographs, keep getting message saying file too large!

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: Priory rod wisdom required

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Hi,

It’s difficult to to judge without a picture which is probably why no one has answered your first post.

In light of lack of picture can you confirm that the label actually has “Priory” written somewhere on it or are you assuming as it is from Bournemouth and has a stepped butt cap it is a Priory?

Priory has a history of building custom one offs as well as a mainstream run of standard rods. I have two, one beast of a rod in all split cane, the other with a whole cane butt and two built cane sections. The sections of the two rods are interchangeable so are basically the same rod with differing butt compositions. Both are described as barbel rods.The whole cane butt version is a “Throop” but doesn’t say that anywhere unlike some versions. Both labels are fitted differently and one has sliding rings on the handle the other has a screw winch fitting.

With there being so many different combinations around it’s probably one of the most difficult rods to identify without the actual label, however there are some clues. The stepped butt cap is one. If it hasn’t been kept polished it tends to go a distinct dark grey colour with age and is quite rough to the touch, probably due to the makeup of the alloy. The cane is usually very dark and the nodes show up quite light. Probably on a standard build unrestored rod there will more than likely only two rings on the middle section, a Priory quirk. On the three section heavy rods the butt and tip rings tend to be white porcelain, quite beefy.

If as you say, yours is a match rod it could be totally different, so without a picture them positive, or even educated guess is difficult. I’ve never seen a Priory match rod, only the three section river barbel type rods.

I presume you are trying to load your pictures via the i icon at the top of the text box? If so only load one at a time as it can be a bit temperamental at times.if it is an image taken with a digital SLR with a gazillion megapixels just take one with a mobile phone or pad and try that. They seem to work really well.

Here’s some pics of mine.

Oh and welcome to the Forum :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF Kingfisher15!

I don't know a thing about Priory rods, although Northern Nomad has already told me a lot about them ...

But what I know is, how to post a picture. Try the square icon with the green dot and just do what it says. This should work with any size of picture.

Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Kingfisher15
Stickleback

Post by Kingfisher15 »

Thanks Duebel, I'll give that a try, didn't recognise that icon, and I was trying to use the attacment button underneath Excuse my newbie instincts.
Here's pictures of the rod for your wisdom.ImageImageImageImage

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Difficult one.

The butt cap has only one step down not two but the collar and reel bands are of the correct type. So is the butt ring.

I’ve never seen a Priory with non serrated ferrules, but there again I’ve never seen a Priory match rod before.

The badge does look like a Priory of Bournemouth badge but with the Jubb logo placed on top. Is it a stick on addition or is it an integral part of the original transfer?

If this is the case I’d suspect the shop stuck it’s own sticker on top of the Priory badge. Why I don’t know.

Alternately if it is a one piece transfer which has been varnished over when the rod was made ( hard to prove if it has been revarnished post purchased) then your theory could be correct.

With what we can see I would say on the balance of probabilities that it is a Priory with an intrigueing history.

That’s the best I can do until someone more intelligent comes along. :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My goodness... that patterning on the middle section looks like the pattern on a rod a work colleague had rebuilt by Wal... his was a Martinez and Bird Rod... exactly the same criss-cross flaming... I wonder if Priory and Martinez used the same builders...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Kingfisher15
Stickleback

Post by Kingfisher15 »

Thanks Northern -Nomad
Your hunch was right, under a strong magnifying glass I could see there was a sticker superimposed over the Priory label. i managed to scrape the old one off gingerly, without too much damage. Please see attached photographs. Does the team still think it is a match rod, or barbel or what?. Bottom sections are Bamboo, top split cane. Measures 11 foot.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

As previously stated I’ve never seen this version but being two section whole cane and a tip section split cane it is certainly a much lighter rod that the barbel type rods described. Match, roach or whatever it looks like a delightful light rod. The ferrule shown which I presume is on the middle section shows how the rod is sharply tapered.

It looks delightful.

I was concentrating on the fitting and badge more than anything else and didn’t register the flaming marks, so well done to Harry in his identification and another possible intriguing avenue of Research.

Is the Jubbs/ Grubbs logo sticker still intact? If it is why not re- attach a couple of inches higher above the Priory logo as part of its history.

All in all a fine rod of now undisputed quality which I’m quite envious of :Thumb:

Kingfisher15
Stickleback

Post by Kingfisher15 »

Thanks for everyones help, and thank you for allowing me to be part of a wonderful forum..

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The butt and tip rings on the Martinez and Bird were the same porcelain type as well... either the rod was made by Priory for M&B, or by M&B for Priory... or by a third party maker for both, as the only difference I can see is the butt section which has a screw type button fixture, whereas the M&B had an ally cap...

Intriguing.. to say the least.. :holmes:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Priory of Bournemouth Cane Rods”