Possible Priory rod of Bournemouth The Throop any ideas ???

The Priory Rods of Bournemouth Rods forum.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Possible Priory rod of Bournemouth The Throop any ideas

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Lovely watching this take shape!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Thank you very much I like reading them too.

Regards Trefor

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Been a little busy this weekend but have managed to whip the butt section of the rod, I have decided to whip the rod in Lime green with black intermediates and black tippings.

I think it is coming along quite nicely I have decided to use a Chapman's Hunter eye spacing purely because the rods length, originally the rods eye spacings were not far off those of a Chapman's Hunter.
Ring spacing and intermediate whippings.jpg
The Lime green may be a bit bright for some of you :Cool: , but hey why not it will be nice and cheerful I can imagine myself sitting beside the Great Ouse or Grand Union Canal on a warm day :Sun: sandwiches and flask of tea. I don't think the color will matter much to the fish. I Still have a fair way to go before I can fish with the rod, Here's a picture of the butt section.
Butt section.jpg
I will do the middle and tip in a couple of days and get back here with some more pictures, let me know what you think of the color scheme :Hahaha:

Regards Trefor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I think the greens ok ,it contrasts with the canes colour nicely and the black pulls it all together .its a nice looking rod .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

When I first clocked the colour I was a little unsure, but, do you know, it has grown on me and I like it. I must admit my first thoughts were Mint Aero (chocolate)... maybe a suggestion for a rod name. I do love seeing the progress of your rods renovation... Thank you. :Hat:

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello everyone, Been a bit busy these past couple of days with life and everything else but have had some spare time to whip the middle part of the rod and put some photo's of the rods progress together.

Had a great days fishing yesterday with my Milwards Floatrover and caught twenty or more Roach four of them were easy half pounder's, no photos were taken as all the fish went straight back, I don't use a keep net as I don't own one at the moment, especially as its (close season - spawning time) on some waters.

The Lime green whippings seems to be brighter almost florescent in the pictures but in fact they are a little duller in real life, If I hadn't taken the pictures outside, they would have been a little darker.
Butt and middle pieces copy.jpg
Only the tip to whip and seal followed by several coats of thinned varnish and the rod will be ready for it's first outing, I'll add another picture of the whole rod when I have done the tip in a day or two. This wouldn't be much of a show and tell without an audience so thank you very much for sticking with it, back in a few days with the next post.

Regards Trefor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi everyone and a good day to you all,

Today I have completed the rods main and intermediate whippings with new eyes and have applied sealer to them. There are a total of 64 intermediate whippings all 1/6th of an inch in width and I am glad I don't do this for a living and it's just a hobby, feels like my fingers are going to fall off :Hahaha: .

These are some photos of the rod and all I have to do now is the varnishing, rubbing down and more varnishing.
12' Rod Lime Green and black intermediate whippings copy.jpg
Stay tuned and I'll be right back with some macro pictures after it's varnished and ready for it's first outing.

Regards Trefor

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

The rod has now been given one coat of varnish and to my eye it looks even better consider the rod finished, my camera is not great so I have taken some close up shots of the whippings. If you viewed the whole rod now you probably would not see much difference when compared to the pictures above, so these will be the last pictures of this rod.

I was going to whip it in Yellow and black but have seen quite a few of those lately so I decided on Lime green and black, and I am glad I did it's a color scheme that works.
Varnished parts.jpg
The rod feels light in the hand and I am looking forward to my first time out with it, a big thank you to everyone for their feedback it was very helpful, I have decided to name the rod, THE REVIVAL, and look forward to using it on the Great Ouse which I fish quite a lot and have done most of my life, I'll add some info to the rivers list for those of you who may be interested in the river Ouzel a tributary of the Great Ouse the EA have been doing a lot of work along the river for some time now with great improvements, well done EA.

Regards Trefor
Last edited by Lovatt on Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Today was the rods first day on the bank, I Had a lovely day in the sunshine, caught several small Perch and a beautiful Common Bream of 4lb12oz from a local water on float fished worm tipped with a maggot 5lb mainline size 12 hook.

The rod performed as well as I had expected it too considering it is from about the 1950's 1960's, hence I named it The Revival its a little heavier than some of my other cane rods but not too heavy, I'm not complaining though as it has a lovely action and is certainly a nice rod and one I shall keep. :Happy:
Common Bream 4lb 12oz 14 05 15.JPG
Regards Trefor

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

An excellent return for your hard work, Sir ... and a rod I'm sure will bring you much pleasure. Well done !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Priory of Bournemouth Cane Rods”