Farstrike and Carp

The Davenport & Fordham Rods forum.
Dipper
Rudd

Farstrike and Carp

Post by Dipper »

I’ve just been going through some old photo albums and came across this picture taken 20yrs ago, a rod I should never have sold, with what looks like a Bob James centrepin, also no longer in my possession. I do however still have the quill, a long time favourite! The small lake where the picture was taken is no longer run by a club, it’s part of the grounds of what was an old school and now “fancy“ apartments, I may have to go back for a walk round to investigate the waters condition...

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Farstrike and Carp

Post by RBTraditional »

Fine looking tackle and carp sir....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:28 am Fine looking tackle and carp sir....
I only wish I still had the rod, I’m ashamed to have been unfaithful, it served me vey well..

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

We all have our regrets Dipper.... and then we spend years trying, often in vain, to find those special items of tackle again.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I too regret selling a Farstrike Avon, mine was a three piece 'Avocet' clone. A little lighter in the tip than an Avocet. A brilliant all rounder, why oh why did I send it to Mullocks in a big clear out. I wonder if anyone on here bought it? Three years ago maybe and it went for £140. It's funny how the fishing changes, evolves really and some tackle falls out of favour in line with the requirements pertaining at the time. This year that rod would have been perfect for the generally lighter approach I have adopted to suit the fishing available to me.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 am I too regret selling a Farstrike Avon, mine was a three piece 'Avocet' clone. A little lighter in the tip than an Avocet. A brilliant all rounder, why oh why did I send it to Mullocks in a big clear out. I wonder if anyone on here bought it? Three years ago maybe and it went for £140. It's funny how the fishing changes, evolves really and some tackle falls out of favour in line with the requirements pertaining at the time. This year that rod would have been perfect for the generally lighter approach I have adopted to suit the fishing available to me.
I have this version, I bought it off a dealer about 3yrs ago, so it may have ended up in his hands and mine via Mullocks?

It is one of my favorite all round rods, it has some power too for a barbel.

I contacted Tony Fordham, when he was alive, and asked if he could remember what blank it was built on, as I had heard rumors to say it was a Ogden Smith Arun!

Tony Said he could not remember exactly, but said at the time he bought blanks from Chapman, B.Southwell and Ogden & Smith, so the rumor may be true?

The said rod with an 8.12 June Barbel.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

If it's the same rod I caught the biggest fish I've ever landed on it, a 23lb Mirror Carp. When the rod came to me from my long term fishing buddie Peter ( he bought I new in Kent in the earlie 60's) it was in a bit of a state with quite a set in the top section which I couldn't entirely eradicate so I re ringed it upside down. Paul does your rods top look as if it has been turned? I will look later for any photos I may have of my rod to compare the position of that butt section node whipping.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Catfish.017 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:15 pm If it's the same rod I caught the biggest fish I've ever landed on it, a 23lb Mirror Carp. When the rod came to me from my long term fishing buddie Peter ( he bought I new in Kent in the earlie 60's) it was in a bit of a state with quite a set in the top section which I couldn't entirely eradicate so I re ringed it upside down. Paul does your rods top look as if it has been turned? I will look later for any photos I may have of my rod to compare the position of that butt section node whipping.
No, my rod is all original and pretty clean condition :Thumb:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Found a photo in my diary. Definitely not your rod Paul!Image

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Catfish.017 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:41 pm Found a photo in my diary. Definitely not your rod Paul!Image
No it does not look like it, yours appears to have a lot more inter whips from the butt to the 1st big whip, my rod has gold anodised reel bands too.

Return to “Davenport & Fordham Cane Rods”