An Unidentified Ogden Smith?

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Trainset
Gudgeon

Re: An Unidentified Ogden Smith?

Post by Trainset »

I have an Ogden Smith Yarrow rod that I really struggled to find any info on. There is a thread for it, they manufactured at Clapham Junction for a while moving there from Derbyshire I think. I managed to find out the rod wasn't listed in any catalogues after 1920 but couldn't find out anything else.
I'm sorry I cant remember the name of the chap who helped me out and I don't think he was on this forum.
They did make salmon and trout rods as well as spinning and fly rods that I know of.
Sorry it snot really very useful!
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I have had more thoughts upon the "J" on the subject rod. Ogden Smith used a flourishing script on all their products. J being part of the ardornment not the title. London surgest the principal address the company occupied in town, of which their were several.... with overlaps.Out of town suburbs had the town not London. Branches were sometimes short lived and plentiful.Not much help but you have done a great job on the rod. Tony

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks Tony, the theory that the J is decorative certainly holds water and is the most plausible explanation I have heard so far :Hat:
By discounting the j, searching for a possible model name should be a bit easier, I still keep looking!
This was going to be my rod to use over the winter
for Chub but the lockdown put pay to those plans, although it did land a lively carp without any drama and the Chub will still be there this winter.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”