Ogden Arun

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Ogden Arun

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I came to this site at bit late so well done CORAL MAESTRO. you beat me to it. Ogden Smith had many other outlets in their existence: Sutton in Surrey
Croydon South End , Hyde Park Corner London. I would have to look the rest up but of course Ogden Smith had there "works" at Cherry Orchard Road Croydon, but I cannot confirm whether it was towards the end when they were foremost in glass fibre (was my mouth out )..left Croydon when developement occurred and Croydon was destroyed for ever.(1960s) Waitrose now occupies the George Street site

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Add to the list: 28 St Johns Hill. Clapham Junction, tel:Battersea 4040 . The firm had its origins in Chippenham , or Cheltenham Glos. as "Ogden".All of the main interests were for fly fishing folks but were probably extended to cover all aspects for good business sense reasons.I would be very interested in any other information. Tony

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

This thread has got in my hair: Been to my"Oxo tin "and found a few more refs: Just pre war C1939: Clapham Junction Croydon East, Sutton, Twickenham, Sydenham, Brixton, Stockwell. (Export Division 14-15 Dingwall Road , Croydon). With all these outlets even if they were short term the overheads must have been enormous. Regards Tony

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am This thread has got in my hair: Been to my"Oxo tin "and found a few more refs: Just pre war C1939: Clapham Junction Croydon East, Sutton, Twickenham, Sydenham, Brixton, Stockwell. (Export Division 14-15 Dingwall Road , Croydon). With all these outlets even if they were short term the overheads must have been enormous. Regards Tony
They must have been shifting a lot of tackle to finance all those outlets! The catalogue I have is game fishing gear and it looks like top end tackle. They were also agents for Mitchells, Ambidex, Felton Crosswind, Omnia and Allcocks Aerial (which they were promoting as a salmon spinning reel).
I was tickled by the page listing "Wading Brogues and Socks". I think Chris Yates would approve of those!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”