Aspindale's Avondale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Aspindale's Avondale

Post by Coral Maestro »

A nice hollow built 3 piece split cane rod of 10ft 6in designed for match fishing so good for roach, dace and grayling. This one needs a bit of TLC but is usable as is.

What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Aspindale's Avondale

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Very nice.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

The Avondale is a gorgeous rod - and apart from Aspindales excellent build quality you have the finest script adorning any rod.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Lovely looking rod but do check it thoroughly before use to make sure there is no areas suffering from the dreaded delamination which Aspindale rods seem quite susceptible to.

GB

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

There is a fair amount of talk regarding Aspindales and delamination - sometimes I feel it maybe a case of an instance heard or read which is then passed on and not necessarily with any more recorded frequency than is normal in any rod. Certainly in all the Asps I have owned it has never been present.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have and use one of these very fine rods. Mine was rescued from a Council skip in Redditch and handed to Audrey Aspindale who restored it for me. I agree with Pallenpool regarding the aspect of delamination being directed at Aspindale rods and frankly it does not appear to be anymore prevalent than in other makes. Certainly not an issue with my rod which prior to my acquisition had seen the rod used and abused. Now a splendid match rod for Roach, Crucians and Bream - thoroughly recommended.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Maybe your right and I was just unlucky with mine, but either way it's certainly worth checking to be safe as these rods are particularly beautiful with the handwritten script.

I know I would be gutted if I ruined mine.

GB

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:52 pm Maybe your right and I was just unlucky with mine, but either way it's certainly worth checking to be safe as these rods are particularly beautiful with the handwritten script.

I know I would be gutted if I ruined mine.

GB
:Thumb:

Heraclitus

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Pallenpool wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:26 pm There is a fair amount of talk regarding Aspindales and delamination - sometimes I feel it maybe a case of an instance heard or read which is then passed on and not necessarily with any more recorded frequency than is normal in any rod. Certainly in all the Asps I have owned it has never been present.
Same here! Several Aspindale rods including a Severndale, which has a reputation for delamination, but none noted on any of them. I do have an Allcocks Sapper which has bad delamination and another un named "roach" rod with the same problem. One day i'll get round to sorting them out.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:46 pm I have and use one of these very fine rods. Mine was rescued from a Council skip in Redditch and handed to Audrey Aspindale who restored it for me. I agree with Pallenpool regarding the aspect of delamination being directed at Aspindale rods and frankly it does not appear to be anymore prevalent than in other makes. Certainly not an issue with my rod which prior to my acquisition had seen the rod used and abused. Now a splendid match rod for Roach, Crucians and Bream - thoroughly recommended.
You're a very lucky man! I had to part with some folding stuff for mine and it still needs work.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”