8ft ASPINDALE PIKE ROD

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: 8ft ASPINDALE PIKE ROD

Post by AshbyCut »

Simply splendid in every respect,Young Sir !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I shall be back on the boat again before the end of the season for a couple of days. I will most definitely be taking the pike rod together with another one for float fishing for perch with worms. Here's hoping for a classic end to the season.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 pm I shall be back on the boat again before the end of the season for a couple of days. I will most definitely be taking the pike rod together with another one for float fishing for perch with worms. Here's hoping for a classic end to the season.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
We are expecting a perch of at least 4lbs and a boat towing pike of 30lbs.
Although either of the above would be just about acceptable. The eyes and expectations of the forum are upon you but don't let this put you under any kind of pressure.
You failed miserably with barbel this season, we were fully expecting a record Trent barbel caught with traditional gear so you have a bit to do mate.
Now, go and give your worms a good stir. :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

That looks like the perfect rod for pike boat fishing. Is it as powerful as it looks?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:59 am That looks like the perfect rod for pike boat fishing. Is it as powerful as it looks?
It has plenty of power yet has a nice action. It is certainly not the poker like some 'old time' pike rods tended to be. It was fun playing the big pike on it, but a relief when it was netted and the 70+ year old cane was still in one piece. :Scared:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:50 am
Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 pm I shall be back on the boat again before the end of the season for a couple of days. I will most definitely be taking the pike rod together with another one for float fishing for perch with worms. Here's hoping for a classic end to the season.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
We are expecting a perch of at least 4lbs and a boat towing pike of 30lbs.
Although either of the above would be just about acceptable. The eyes and expectations of the forum are upon you but don't let this put you under any kind of pressure.
You failed miserably with barbel this season, we were fully expecting a record Trent barbel caught with traditional gear so you have a bit to do mate.
Now, go and give your worms a good stir. :tea:
Can I come to you for lessons in stirring Jeremy? :Hahaha:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Not much I can teach you RoBro :fingertap:
Go get them stripeys and enjoy the last days of the river season.
Won't be long before the start of this year's crucian crusade :Thumb:
We can get some sneaky practice in before the TFF crucian day :eyebrow:
Just don't tell Waggers :secret:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have only gone and bought another one!
It is similar to the other, but even beefier. It was wrongly described as a Mercury 264 Light Spinning rod, but I decided to keep it anyway. It is even earlier than the first one having brass fittings rather than the alloy of the other. It even has an early original bag!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wow, what a beast!
I imagine it was intended for boat sea fishing originally?
Looks to be in fairly good order, do you think the tip ring is the original?

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:46 pm Wow, what a beast!
I imagine it was intended for boat sea fishing originally?
Looks to be in fairly good order, do you think the tip ring is the original?
I did have doubts as it seems too large. The cradle is the same type as the butt ring but the shape is different to the other rod. I am open to be convinced either way. That said the rod hasn’t been mucked about with at all. Quite a monster!

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”