An Aspindale Aero 890 conundrum

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: An Aspindale Aero 890 conundrum

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm To be honest Bob, I think colour change is getting more and more unacceptable these days, especially on rods by the more collectable makers. Keep it as original as possible seems to be the consensus.

Wal.
Point taken Wal, I will make that decision later. With regard to the length, I reckon the rod could end up Wizard like at 11’3”.
I am sure you will use it to cast a spell or two on those crucians..

Wal.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Just as a matter if interest there are two Aspindale Aero 890s listed on the Fisherman's Emporium website which may be of interest in terms of reference points.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:37 am Just as a matter if interest there are two Aspindale Aero 890s listed on the Fisherman's Emporium website which may be of interest in terms of reference points.
:Hat: And both of them measure up at 10' 7", so this is definitely an odd one.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Bob,

I have measured the two Aspindale Aero 890 rods that I have, I purchased a restored one recently and I have one that I have had for a while which has not been restores, so I assume that this one is in original condition.

I have measured them as closely as I can ,

RESTORED ROD :-
Butt section 43 inches, middle section 43 inches, tip section 40.5 inches = 10ft 6.5 inches overall (cork handle 17inches)

UNRESTORED ROD :-
Butt section 43 inches, middle section 43.5 inches, tip section 42 inches = 10ft 8.5 inches overall (cork handle 17 inches_)

A few photos :-

The end cap on the unrestored rod without a button.

The butt ring on the unrestored rod is considerable larger than on the restored rod.

The two tip rings.

I hope it is of interest and possibly of help.
Regards, John

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Just a quick update on this rod. I have managed to obtain a suitable tip section from Chapmans, the last one they had. That makes me a happy chappie as I will have a longer version 890 in my stable. If it is as good as I expect then there may be an Andrew Davis Wallis Wizard surplus to requirements.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Brillant restoration by Wall ,his work is amazing, Reelmaker

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

The rod is now fitted with a new Chapmans tip of the correct length and section. When assembled the overall length of the rod measures 11ft 1.5in. Wal is convinced it should have been marked up as an 891, which is good enough for me.

I have seen photos of the complete rod after the first coat of varnish and it is fabulous. I think that there is every chance that it may accompany me to the TFF crucian gathering on the 10th May.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A bit late here to this. I'm with Wal....I think it got written up wrongly and nobody noticed or they weren't too bothered. Who hasn't made a spelling mistake when trying too hard?....or is it just me? I don't think I've ever got it right when writing on a rod....

I'm 90% certain that the 890 was the basis of a rod made for Tom Watson until the late Sixties called The Wasp. It's classic Aspindale in finish, but who made it? Was it Jim Aspindale, was it the 'lost' brother William who started as Aero Rods when the brothers split or was it ex-Aspindale employee Ken Johnson who had worked for both brothers separately?

As I understand the Aero range, created in 1946 the 890 was 10'6"...the 891 was 11' and the 892 was 11'6". There were the famous two section rods, like the 894B at 11'6" too and then there were the Aero Wizards and whole cane butt Avons.

With the two brothers splitting so soon in 1949 there seems to have been a lot of folk making them....and I think for a spell, Ken Johson traded as Falcon Rods too......

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nobby wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am A bit late here to this. I'm with Wal....I think it got written up wrongly and nobody noticed or they weren't too bothered. Who hasn't made a spelling mistake when trying too hard?....or is it just me? I don't think I've ever got it right when writing on a rod....

I'm 90% certain that the 890 was the basis of a rod made for Tom Watson until the late Sixties called The Wasp. It's classic Aspindale in finish, but who made it? Was it Jim Aspindale, was it the 'lost' brother William who started as Aero Rods when the brothers split or was it ex-Aspindale employee Ken Johnson who had worked for both brothers separately?

As I understand the Aero range, created in 1946 the 890 was 10'6"...the 891 was 11' and the 892 was 11'6". There were the famous two section rods, like the 894B at 11'6" too and then there were the Aero Wizards and whole cane butt Avons.

With the two brothers splitting so soon in 1949 there seems to have been a lot of folk making them....and I think for a spell, Ken Johson traded as Falcon Rods too......
Thanks Nobby. :Hat: That is useful as you have brought together a lot of information that is already 'out there'. I shall take delivery of my misnamed 891 tomorrow, when Mr & Mrs Wal come a'visiting. It will certainly accompany me to the TFF Crucian day on Friday. Are you at Redditch on Sunday?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Interesting....that little script error by Aspindales makes the rod totally unique, must be worth a fortune!!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”