Croftdale.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Croftdale.

Post by ReelMaker »

I am wondering what the spec is of a Croftdale,it looks like tube or reed and a lenght of 9ft ,does anybody know?Reelmaker.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Croftdale.

Post by Olly »

viewtopic.php?t=21775

Tubular aluminium.

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Not sure which rod you have but Tony Croft would be the maker. He is now 87 and still does rod repairs for me. Ex Allcocks, Aspindales etc.Originally from Redditch but now residing in the Poole area. An absolute mine of information concerning the various rod making companies and totally fascinating to talk with.
In fact I will be visiting him this week.
I have various rods made by him mostly cane/split cane and an aluminium one as well.
I guess the Croftdale was produced when Tony went into partnership with Peter Aspindale the son of James? after the original Aspindales closed. Though I will check with Tony to make sure.
As Olly says your rod would be tubular aluminium.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

""Apparently, your rod blank was made by British Aluminium in Redditch and has walls only 12 thou thick! Think 'feeler gauge'. It would date from about 1965 to 1970.""

Was he with Aspindale in the above years?

Is your 9ft rod aluminum? As the Croftdale was 13ft match rod.

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

The partnership between Peter Aspindale and Tony Croft lasted for six years between 1961 -1967
I have just been on the phone to Tony and he says the Croftdale was made from aluminium and only in 12' or 13' lengths. He never made a 9' version.
In fact he still has some of the aluminium blanks.
Tony did say that some anglers did cut down the rods and fitted a top ring which took a swing tip or quiver tip.
Reelmaker would it be possible for you to send me some photos of the rod including the writing as Tony would be most interested to see how the reduction in length was achieved?
Let me know if it's possible and I will pm you my email address
Regards
Mike

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Hi sir,I have seen the 9ft rod on the Fishermans Emportorium a website belonging to John Farley thank you for showing interest.Reelmaker

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Well that has me completely confused because if I am viewing the same 9' rod as yourself the details on his website states it is made of split cane and it is called "The Perfection Stalker" and is a custom built rod.
That to me sounds as if it is a different rod than yours.
Anyway no matter enjoy the rod and tight lines
Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The picture referred to is of a 12 or 13ft "Croftdale" made from aluminum! Look at the colour & script on the precious thread!

<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
“The Croftdale” £85

Aspindales

3 Piece 9’ Split Cane Rod

Perfection stalker custom built No2146. Indian Ink written logo. Agate butt and tip ring.

Original Rod Bag

Perfect Condition with Original sale ticket. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Unlike a cane rod ---- this one does not have any metal ferrules - so an advertiser's error????

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

He did at one stage have a "Temedale" - a rather rare rod - but sold it a while ago. This rod can be viewed at:-
http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... indale.asp

And is a 9ft cane rod suitable for stalking!

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Hi sir ,I did not know what the rod spec was when I put the question up ,it was the name Croftdale that I was not sure of ,however the picture looks like a reed or tube as there seems to be no furrels,but you then said the Croftdale was aluminium tube,so I was under the idea that it may a fault in the listing or the one shown was a special one off.sorry Reelmaker.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”