Goldendale de luxe 10 ft Spinning or Carp Rod ?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Goldendale de luxe 10 ft Spinning or Carp Rod ?

Post by Rutland Rod »

As part of an auction lot of 3 rods and 2 reels this is what caught my eye
it looks to me in perfect condition and has a lovely action in the hand, it's in its original bag and the only thing missing is the stopper. It has a lovely white button.

It appears to me to be a medium weight spinning rod but seem well suited for Carp or Barbel, any info welcome chaps, the pics aren't great but will give you an idea, it's signed Jas Aspindale
Tight lines
Dave

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Goldendale de luxe 10 ft Spinning or Carp Rod ?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Dave,
The Goldendale De-Luxe is a very rare and very nice rod indeed. I have owned one for about 12 years which is also in excellent condition and is a lovely light carp or Avon type rod. I had not seen another until a couple of weeks ago when I found a rather scruffy looking one at a boot sale and I am at present restoring it.
The white button is a kind of Jas Aspindale trade mark and very hard to come by. I believe they were fitted to all their rods originally.

There is a write up on the internet somewhere about a Goldendale in action but I cant find it at present.

Yours looks a beautiful original rod and I am sure you will be delighted with the action when you use it .

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I forgot to mention the stylishly cut away sliding reel fitting. The only other one I have seen is on my rod and I believe Aspindales my have had them machined just for these rods.

Wal.

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

Wallys-Cast wrote:I forgot to mention the stylishly cut away sliding reel fitting. The only other one I have seen is on my rod and I believe Aspindales my have had them machined just for these rods.

Wal.
I have seen these cut away reel fittings fitted to Sowerbutts rods and also Olivers of Knebworth rods.There is no manufactures name on the fitting, but it bears the Pat No.839.582.A brilliant idea for locking a reel, on any part of the handle,not just one fixed position. Olivers referred to the fitting as an Autolock.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Albert47 wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:I forgot to mention the stylishly cut away sliding reel fitting. The only other one I have seen is on my rod and I believe Aspindales my have had them machined just for these rods.

Wal.
I have seen these cut away reel fittings fitted to Sowerbutts rods and also Olivers of Knebworth rods.There is no manufactures name on the fitting, but it bears the Pat No.839.582.A brilliant idea for locking a reel, on any part of the handle,not just one fixed position. Olivers referred to the fitting as an Autolock.
Just out of interest what length is that rod? I picked up a 'no-name' bit of cane at 9'8" which I made into a margin rod and it puts me in mind of that for some reason.

I've seen them on Octofloats as well. I have a couple in fact.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

JAA wrote:
Albert47 wrote:

Wal.
Just out of interest what length is that rod? I picked up a 'no-name' bit of cane at 9'8" which I made into a margin rod and it puts me in mind of that for some reason.

I've seen them on Octofloats as well. I have a couple in fact.

It's exactly 10 ft

JAA

Post by JAA »

Rutland Rod wrote:
It's exactly 10 ft
Ah. :oops: it's in the thread title. My 'no-name' is exactly 9' 8", so it's not one of those then!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They are Autolock reel fittings but on the Goldendale they have been machined out, maybe to lighten them a little or probably just for aesthetics but you can see what I mean in the pics below.

Wal.

Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAA

Post by JAA »

That's rather neat.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Wallys-Cast wrote:They are Autolock reel fittings but on the Goldendale they have been machined out, maybe to lighten them a little or probably just for aesthetics but you can see what I mean in the pics below.

Wal.

Wal, do you think the machining is to allow a little "flex" in the alloy so that it grips the handle when tightened up?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”