Aspindale Roach?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Aspindale Roach?

Post by Greentura »

I restored an Aerolite last year, but unfortunately I think the Butt section was the only original part, made it into a useable rod which is what the owner wanted, all documented so no possibility of passing it off as original, which the owner agreed with. Would have been nice to be able to have an original to work from but I used my similar length all built cane 'Perfection' as a template. The Severn special is more akin to an Avocet, but with two whole cane sections, although I saw one with only whole cane butt, but ugh the passing of time that may have been changed as the Aerolite was

OllyKite
Stickleback

Post by OllyKite »

I have an Aspindales 'ROACH' with an intact label/logo. It is 11'6'' 2 piece hollow built split cane along similar lines to the Hardy 'Roach Perfection'. It has the black 'Dalesman' transfer and 'Roach' written in that signature fine script. Incidentally believe it or not that fine script 'writing' that appears on Aspindale rods was actually done with a (very fine) brush
'look, Dad, its lying flat'!...'Yes,Peter,wait'....presently it moves across the water and slides under...'Now,Peter. STRIKE!'

Visit www.qualityvintagetackle.co.uk

Flightliner

Post by Flightliner »

I,ve been having a look thro all my rods and have an Aspidales of Redditch that I am thinking of selling, twelve feet in length,butt and middle in whole cane with a split cane tip.
Agate top and bottom rings, brass ferrules with turned hardwood and cork stoppers, rings whipped in ruby red along with many intermediate whippings between. , cork handle with orange rubber butt end. It has its original rod bag with makers name stiched on and its all in its original condition , the original owner hardly used it as it was "laid away" with the introduction of fibre glass.
I was thinking of putting it on e-bay, any suggestions as to what it may be worth would be appreciated.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I have an Aspindale's Dalesman Roach #397. It's 2 piece, whole cane butt and whole cane spliced to split cane tip. The length is 11ft. I'll try and get some pictures posted if the weather ever improves!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have one exactly as above - mine is called the "The Avon" and predates Dalesman rods.
In fact I have 2 - one for restoration - one restored by Paul Cook.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Coral Maestro wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:09 pm I have an Aspindale's Dalesman Roach #397. It's 2 piece, whole cane butt and whole cane spliced to split cane tip. The length is 11ft. I'll try and get some pictures posted if the weather ever improves!
The weather did improve so here is the rod:

It has a surprisingly long handle (30") which I actually prefer to the shorter handles on similar rods (Hardy Perfection Roach, Aspindales Avondale)
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

That's a beautiful rod and has been well looked after.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Not script usually seen on Aspindale rods?
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:19 pm Not script usually seen on Aspindale rods?
I agree! It doesn't look as slickly executed as the usual Aspindale script. Maybe the script was re-written when the rod was restored?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It might well be re-written, but usually it was written as Jas. Aspindale....a popular amendment of the day.
The use of the trade name Dalesman indicates a post 1949 rod and the lack of 'and Son' possibly suggests an early rod in this period as it was soon included....certainly by 1954 when Tony Croft went to work there after leaving Allcock.
Jas. Aspindale & Son stopped trading in 1961, but was re-kindled in name in 1965 when Peter Aspindale, the '& Son', joined up with Tony Croft again and the old firms name was used once more.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”