Could this be a Capella?

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Could this be a Capella?

Post by Silfield »

I took a risky punt on this rod recently but since receiving it yesterday and having a few sneaky waggles (wife doesn't know about it yet :whistle: ) I must say it looks good.
I brought it as a project or, at worst, for spares but there are no faults and it looks to be a suitable rod to flick a decent spinner out with, a worthy stable partner for an Allcocks Lightcaster that I enjoy using so much. Being a foot longer and with more backbone that the Allcocks it should fit in nicely.
Regardless of the small red button being marked Marco, the reel seat, butt cap and ferrules all look identical to some I have seen on a Capella.
Could it be one?

ImageImageImage
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Could this be a Capella?

Post by Mole-Patrol »

They made several Capella models in various sizes and trims. The trumpet handle and reel seat is identical to my Capella Deluxe as is the gold / black flecked thread, ferrule and wrapping spacings.#

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

That's good to know, thanks Clive.
There seems to be a wide variety of different trims and fittings on these Marcos, just a shame that the transfers have been removed by a previous owner. When these restrictions ease a bit, I think a trip to a certain mill on the Broads is in order to see if I can tempt a Perch.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I happen to know that oldangler aka Rod has the capability to produce the Marco man transfer. Might be worth dropping him a PM.

If you need to look at how the Capella Deluxe is scripted in order to copy it I can post a photo. It might be that you can get something similar from Rods & Guides.

My own 9 foot Capella Deluxe has a tc of around 1.75lb and is much too stiff when chucking light lures for perch. It would make a great stalking rod for carp and barbel and last time I used it as such I was happy with the action.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:39 am I happen to know that oldangler aka Rod has the capability to produce the Marco man transfer. Might be worth dropping him a PM.

If you need to look at how the Capella Deluxe is scripted in order to copy it I can post a photo. It might be that you can get something similar from Rods & Guides.

My own 9 foot Capella Deluxe has a tc of around 1.75lb and is much too stiff when chucking light lures for perch. It would make a great stalking rod for carp and barbel and last time I used it as such I was happy with the action.
Clive, my apologies, I could have sworn that I had replied earlier to your post but must have had a fat fingered brain fart :doh: I have just found the thread again by pure accident when searching something else!
Thanks for the information on the action of yours, it spurred me to check mine which came in at a bit over 1.5lbs so not too dissimilar.
If it would be possible to post a picture of the script it would be much appreciated, I plan to have a play with some transfer paper in the printer but fear it may well end in tears, but worth a try.
After stripping the blank, re-glueing the ferrule and counter and sorting out a couple of little kicks in the blank I put it to one side and let life get in the way.
Time to dig the rod out and give it a bit more attention.
Washington Irving

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

You'll have to leave it with me for a couple of days. I have a feeling that the Capella Deluxe script might be written over three sides of the cane so will require three photos stitching together. It was a lot easier on the Silver Monarch rod as the blank is a lot thicker.

This is a Marco Man decal taken from the Silver Monarch. OldAngler, aka Rod Storey has the better and larger GIFF file that can be floated over a transparent transfer material. It will also be stored somewhere on my other computer.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There is a Capella Logo on that auction site on a 7.5ft split cane rod.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

This is the best I can do with the time restrictions I have at the moment.

This is the more usual Marco Man and Elasticane script;

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks Clive, thats spot-on!
I may have a go at doing a couple of freehand versions and see how they turn out but will have to get my creative head on first. I am just waiting for some waterslide transfer paper to arrive before taking the plunge.
Your help is much appreciated.
Washington Irving

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

You are welcome. :Hat:

If and when I have the time I will try and make a better job of the Capella Deluxe transfer. Unfortunately my rod is over varnished which doesn't help matching the colour and seams. But, it can be done - given time. The best way is probably to graft the Marco Man oval part from the Silver Monarch onto the Capella Deluxe logo and then only the lower part will need repairing.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”