Test question

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Horsegudgeon
Stickleback

Test question

Post by Horsegudgeon »

Can anybody tell me the OD of the rubber button on a 12’ Marco Test please? I have one I bought to refurbish that is missing the alloy butt cap and the rubber button. I’m guessing it’s either 1.25” or 1.5”.

I’m actually in a bit of a dilemma with this rod. As I say, I bought it to refurbish but now I have it, it looks to be in pretty good condition overall, the only negative things being a gentle set in the tip section, the fact both male ferrules came off in my hand, dark varnish with one or two small patches where it had flaked off and the missing butt end. The male ferrules are odd, both seem to be drilled for pins but neither seems to have actually been pinned! I’ve not been able to check to see if the ferrules knock yet of course! I’m tempted to just repair the obvious faults, give it a gentle clean and fish it as it is, for now anyway. I’m slightly nervous about straightening the tip, and I’ll certainly be practicing on something else first, but the rest of it seems pretty straight forward, and it would put off having to do the half a million intermediates it has. It’s my first foray into cane and boy does it feel like a brute after so many years of using c****n, but it does also feel like it has soul, and I can’t help wondering what adventures it’s had!

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Test question

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Hg., I have just measured mine at inch and a quarter.Black rubber button. My rod no 4263 reverse side of logo above the handle collar.I hope this is not a replacement by me or another but inch and a half would seem massive.Checked the ferrules and they are pinned! This is a powerful rod as its name suggests so I am not surprised you see it as a brute. My advice is to put it together and get on the bank you have all winter to refurbish it Regards Tony.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Sorry to add to the conundrum but ......
1 7/16" ish
20200924_181035_resized(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Mine is slightly different...Image
Mine was refurbed a couple of years back so the button may not be standard
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Horsegudgeon
Stickleback

Post by Horsegudgeon »

Thank you all for taking the time to provide an answer to a tyro. I guess I should have known that I wouldn’t get a definitive answer! I’d already looked at the two examples on InTheNetUK and they have different buttons on them, one is red and looks to be quite big, the other black and may be a little smaller.
Thinking practically, whatever I go with will have no effect on performance, it’s just a question of aesthetics and authenticity. Should I ever fail to catch on it - oh, the arrogance of that phrase - I shall of course blame it on having the wrong button, the fish clearly being of a very purist bent that day.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Hg, This Bromley firm made a red rubber button with their name (MARCO) cast into the rear ,ie the base of the button. One up man ship if you could source one..... :wave: Tony

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:59 pm Hi Hg, This Bromley firm made a red rubber button with their name (MARCO) cast into the rear ,ie the base of the button. One up man ship if you could source one..... :wave: Tony
How about a black one with Marco. 1.5 “. HG if you send me your address by a PM you can have it as a pressy.

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Well, well, well,.....Hg should be "over the moon" nice one Fredline. Tony (TW)

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

A great barbel rod.
Mark Davies

Horsegudgeon
Stickleback

Post by Horsegudgeon »

Fredline wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:49 am
Tonkin Wand wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:59 pm Hi Hg, This Bromley firm made a red rubber button with their name (MARCO) cast into the rear ,ie the base of the button. One up man ship if you could source one..... :wave: Tony
How about a black one with Marco. 1.5 “. HG if you send me your address by a PM you can have it as a pressy.

Fredline, I would indeed be over the moon to have that! I’m almost speechless at such an incredibly generous offer. Thank you hardly seems adequate. PM coming your way very shortly.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”