Capella DeLuxe 9 foot specifications

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Capella DeLuxe 9 foot specifications

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I have just got a Capella DeLuxe 9 foot rod and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as stiff as I had feared from reading various reviews and impressions. The rod itself is a little bit of a quandary as the reel seat looks brand new and too modern for the rod yet matches the ones that have passed through several auction houses and the green & black flecked whipping that I thought was possibly the result of a refurbishment is actually the gold & black thread that is original. The rod has been repaired in that the ferrules have been clumsily re-seated and the top but one ring has been re-whipped using the original type of thread but has not darkened with the varnish.

The other things I noticed is that the Marco logo of the happy fisherman also incorporates the full model name whereas all the others I have seen have had the DeLuxe part hand written under the transfer. And on the reverse side of the rod someone has written "MK4 CARP" (sic) and dated it September 1959. This writing is under some varnish, but probably / possibly not the original varnish.

I have done some measurements and photos that might be of use to anyone looking to restore or even identify this rod.

The overall total length assembled is: 2690mm (8 foot, 9 1/2") The rest of the measurements are in mm.

Tip section; 1355mm total length, and diameter of cane at ferrule 8.2mm and at tip 3.9mm (taken at nearest point after whippings) Distance between measurements 1270mm. This section has 4 rings + 1

Butt section; 1370mm total length, diameter at handle 12.2mm and at ferrule 9mm and distance between measurements is 590mm. The total handle length is 683mm. The tulip or vase shaped top handle diameter is 301mm max and the lower section is 271mm. The butt section has one ring.

Using my basic mathematical skills I make the taper to be 3.38mm per 1000mm in the tip section and 5.42mm per 1000mm in the butt section. Compared to the 10 foot Chapmans 500 I have of 3.27mm / 1000mm for the tip section but only 2.76mm / 1000mm over the much longer butt section.

The Capella DeLuxe does not feel to be a stiff rod and I would estimate the test curve to be somewhere between 1.5 lb and 1.75lb. There is an issue with the tip ring that appears to have been damaged either in transit or was damaged previously and bodged up so I cannot run a line through it at the moment to test the tc.

Overall, once the tip ring has been replaced and the ferrule secured it will make a nice spinning / light dead baiting / carp stalking rod.

Kev D
Chub

Re: Capella DeLuxe 9 foot specifications

Post by Kev D »

Here are the dimensions of my Capella,non De Luxe,with sliding reel bands for comparison.
Two piece,8' 10" when assembled.
Handle , 31"
Butt section:
Nearest unwhipped point above butt, 14mm
Below ferrule, 12mm

Top section:
Above ferrule whipping ,11mm
Tip below eye whipping,5mm.

Not sure of the test curve but it throws a 6oz deadbait as if it was a Mepps' spinner!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I think that you might have the Capella Stepped-Up version :Chuckle: It sounds a much more substantial blank than the one I have.

Given that others have mentioned that their Capellas were substantial rods I'm wondering whether mine is a ringer or wreckling made up out of the splinters of a broken blank. It would be interesting if you could compare yours to the DeLuxe version that your acquaintance owns.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

The chances of me meeting the CDL owner again are slim but he said his was a much lighter rod than mine. Also ,having taken a recent interest in the model; there seem to be variations .They do seem to be described as ranging from strong spinning-type rods up towards longer but moderate duty pike or salmon rods. Perhaps a Gentleman could choose specifications from within the same model range?
It's not impossible that I am the one with the "ringer"😲
I don't care; I love it!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They carried on the Capella name into glass rods, It was my 1st carp/pike rod at 10ft - which I re-whipped with the all original agate rings.
The screw winch fitting being very similar to the glass version I bought in about 1967.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”