Has anyone got a Marco Standard Carp?

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Has anyone got a Marco Standard Carp?

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Does anyone know the test curve of the Marco Standard Carp rod and have any opinions of it?

A friend in the UK has offered me a Marco Standard Carp rod that he bought as part of a large lot of vintage rods. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth is one thing, but international postage for rods plus the refurbishment costs are another. A free rod could end up costing me £50 or more.

I already have a Chapmans 500 that I use for chub, barbel,small carp and mullet so I would only really be interested in the Standard Carp if it was substantially different to the 500. I have been looking for a 550 but the Standard Carp would fit the bill if it was of a similar tc.

Fredline
Tench

Re: Has anyone got a Marco Standard Carp?

Post by Fredline »

I have one I refurbed last year, they are an impressive piece of kit.
This is the thread.
http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 07&t=27620
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thank you. Sounds like you bagged a nice rod from your old friend.
So it would seem to fit in between the Chapmans 500 with 1lb tc and the 550 / Mk IV rods at 1.5lb tc.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

I have one but cannot compare to the Chapmans rods. Mine has coped with carp to 20lb+ and barbel to low doubles but personally would like to use something a bit more powerful for the bigger fish. Depends really what the snag situation is though.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thanks Rutilus.

I agree on your point about the snags, and other aspects that have to be taken into account. I find that river carp tend to fight harder than those from small lakes and the Vienne river swims I find carp tend to have fallen trees and stumps in them. It can be hook and hold with carp running from low double figures to around 20lb. I wouldn't be using this rod on the areas where the larger carp would be found, but for barbel and carp in tight swims the reduction of 2 feet in length from the rod I usually use would be very useful.

Robert P
Bleak

Post by Robert P »

I have one of these.
Slight curve to the left in the tip section - I will probably rotate the guides to suit and it needs a new tip guide anyway. It hasn’t had much use but hasn’t been handled/stored very sympathetically.
Looking forward to finding some Tench with it rather than full-on carping.
00271583-AF13-401F-B4C3-09BE9E8C8E10.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”