My latest 'Test' project.

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

My latest 'Test' project.

Post by AshbyCut »

I posted earlier this week in another thread about 'Test' whipping colours that I had just won what I thought was a badly listed 10ft. 6in. 'Test' (called 'split can' in the listing) with an additional short leger tip ... and would report back when it arrived.

Arrived it has ... and it IS a Marco 'Test' with perfect 'Happy Angler' and 'Elasticane' transfers, and the hand inscribed 'Test.' Too late for outdoor pictures ... but I thought I'd share some close-ups taken under flash with reference to the additional tip ... and whether or not it was a 'shed built' extra or a true 'factory built' item (whether as a 'standard' offering or as a 'customer order special').

Close inspection reveals that the ferrules on the two tips are identical (or virtually so) with identical number '2's' stamped into them (the ferrule on the 'standard' tip has become unglued, so the whipping abutting is is missing) ... as they are into all the ferrules on the rod. The guides are also identical (though sadly some are bent and will therefore mean a replacement of all the intermediates in a rebuild). All, that is, apart from the two different tip guides (the 'tulip' on the leger tip) ... shown below ... which I'm sure will polish up nicely, as will the butt guide.

The black guide whippings and intermediates on the two tips (and the other two sections) are obviously by the same hand ... so I can be 99.9% sure that Marco did produce the short leger tip.

I'll post some pictures of the complete rod when daylight permits.

ps ... this was the photo of the rod in the listing ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Re: My latest 'Test' project.

Post by MGs »

Interesting. The eye on the short tip, looks very similar to that on my Dawson's Medina
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

MGs wrote:Interesting. The eye on the short tip, looks very similar to that on my Dawson's Medina
... and that on my Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Marsden' MGs, Sir ... that factory's version of the Mk. IV Carp. (though this 'Test' leger tip is 'beefier' !)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I also have a MARCO Test complete with the short leger tip. It makes an already beefy rod capable of use for carp or pike, though to be honest I cannot see myself putting it to such use.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Pics as promised in daylight. Made up it's a full 10ft 6in with the standard tip, and 9ft. with the leger.

The transfers and script are perfect. It has the number 3459 scripted just above the handle. The stamped number '2' in both the female ferrules confirm it's all original.

Image Image

Image Image

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the number is a serial number and with such a high number that might tie-in with the later rods having black whipping instead of jasper 'twist'....though it may have been black and white twist with yellowing varnish of course,......

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Ooooo.... I saw that one listed and then forgot to put a bid on in time :doh: :doh: :doh:

At least I can rest in the knowledge that the rod is now residing in a good home - well done Mal :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”