Bernard Venables' A Prospect of Angling

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Hermit
Rudd

Bernard Venables' A Prospect of Angling

Post by Hermit »

For those who may not be aware, Bernard Venables’ final work, ‘A Prospect of Angling’, is now available to order from the Little Egret Press.

This magnificent volume comprises of articles chosen by Bernard himself which he penned for Angling Times between 1953 and 1962 and extends to over 369 pages. As expected, the articles are beautifully composed and uplifting, and, as pointed out by Peter Rogers in the foreward, Bernard has not excluded the challenging and sometimes political issues facing angling at the time.

What strikes one immediately is the sheer quality of the book, well bound and printed on paper of the highest grade, it is beautifully illustrated throughout with Bernard’s familiar ink drawings which further enhance the atmosphere of this inspirational read. The book is delightful in written content and simply oozes class, it’s very well designed and for those of us devoted to the works of Bernard Venables, it is wonderful to see his book finally come to fruition some 30 years after its original conception.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Fredline
Tench

Re: Bernard Venables' A Prospect of Angling

Post by Fredline »

I received my copy today and it is a delight. 370 pages of Bernards' writings and artwork. A must for any BV fan.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Lovely drawing on the cover of the special edition too!
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Hermit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:33 pm Lovely drawing on the cover of the special edition too!
I sold that picture a couple of years ago at Redditch.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Oh no!!!!! John - if only i’d known.........
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Odered

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

One of his best book, it was always a pleasure enjoying the company of Bernard and his wife Eileen, also the many trips we had, I recommend A Prospect of Angling to everyone, its such a good read.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”