Bernard Venables art work - information sought

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Bernard Venables art work - information sought

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have obtained a few pieces of original art work by BV one of which is part of a strip obviously about the countryside though not fishing.
Two sketches I have obtained are the originals used in a book "The Farming Year" but the strip baffles me. It doesn't come from that book . Can anyone shed light in which publication it may have been used.
On the back of the framed picture in red pen there is mention of "A moment in Time" and possibly early 70s' but obviously I would like further information

Apologies for the light reflection on the glass
Mike
Last edited by MrCrabtree on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Bernard Venables art work - information sought

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Googled it . THE FARMING YEAR ILLUSTRATED BY BERNARD VENABLES.Published May 1983. Any help Tony.

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Hi Tony
Many apologies I worded my original post badly. I have now amended it. I have 2 original works from that book and I have actually purchased the book to go with them. But this strip must come from another publication of which i have no knowledge.
Many thanks for trying.
Regards
Mike

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

That style of artwork would never have been used in a 1970's publication it is way too old fashioned. I think what you have is much earlier, 1940's and maybe the original Mr Crabtree who started life as a gardener before winter set in and because he had nothing to do in the garden the Daily Mirror on Bernard Venables suggestion sent him fishing. The rest is history. All we need now is the original Mr Crabtree from the newspaper because he appears to have aged a bit.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The information re the strip?

""Venables had trained as an artist, and in the years after the Second World War started to draw a series on gardening for the Mirror in which the pipe-loving Crabtree dispensed seasonal horticultural tips. Come winter, however, there was less for Crabtree to do, and Venables, a keen fisherman, accordingly suggested to the newspaper's editor that the character shift his attention to the riverbank."

""The Mirror was quick to see its success, and in 1949 a compilation of the strips, together with some new stories and watercolours, was issued in book form. Priced at five shillings, it proved to be a best seller.""

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

How lovely to have an original artwork by Bernard Venables, it would be like a shrine if it were on mine. :Thumb:

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

I was very pleased with my purchase. Here are the other items:
ImageImageImageImage
The country side pictures are originals from The Farmers Year book and the Barbel and the Crucian are prints
But coming back to my original question I would love to discover more about the strip. So any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I love BV's art and envy your wonderful line drawings. I too have the barbel - signed print - framed on the wall alongside my pride and joy. A self portrait from the man himself.

No, it's not for sale :Wink: :)

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

That is great and like you I very much doubt I will ever contemplate selling those originals.
Mike

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I am selling these 3 original Venables, all are signed by the man himself, at £100 for the 3.
ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”