Bernard Venables' Floats

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Bernard Venables' Floats

Post by Bob Brookes »

During my 20 question interview I mentioned that I had a couple of floats that had once been owned and used by BV himself. Others said that they too had some of his floats so I suggested that we should post pictures of them on a separate thread.

Mine were gifted to a pal of mine who, knowing my interest in old floats, kindly gave them to me together with a letter of provenance from Jon Berry. As floats they are not at all special, except for the link to the great man himself. One day they will be passed on to another angler who has a particular affinity with the original owner.
IMG_0020 2.jpg
Come on chaps, I've shown you mine now show me yours. :eyebrow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bob Brookes on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Bernard Venables' Floats

Post by Dave Burr »

Not jealous much :snooty:

When I went to the BV exhibition in Salisbury, the one thing that made me feel close to the great man was an old tackle bag with the contents spilled around it. The floats especially made the scene so reminiscent of his artwork in the Crabtree and Cherry books. Quite a gesture from Jon too.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent! Without the letter of provenance no one would guess that they belonged to and were fished by the great man; especially since they're factory made. Do you know if he made any of his own floats and have they survived?

However, I know Walker made some of his own floats and that his pelican quill was recently auctioned for a large sum. And Walker also made double tapered swan quill naiads, and I can't help wondering if any of those survive in someone's collection!?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I am not aware of BV making his own floats. In fact I am not even aware of him being a 'tackle fettler', but I guess he was!
Santiago wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 pm Excellent! Without the letter of provenance no one would guess that they belonged to and were fished by the great man; especially since they're factory made. Do you know if he made any of his own floats and have they survived?

However, I know Walker made some of his own floats and that his pelican quill was recently auctioned for a large sum. And Walker also made double tapered swan quill naiads, and I can't help wondering if any of those survive in someone's collection!?
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Elie Godsi gifted me some bits from the letter mentioned auction. They sit at the side of me as I type but as Santiago says, without the letter of provenance...
Then again, I wouldn't move them on so they sit there, a float and some dried insects. I guess if I asked Elie he could come up with a G.S.C. letter saying they had been purchased at the auction, but I'm happy in my knowledge.

Eau Boy
Stickleback

Post by Eau Boy »

Thank you for sharing Bob & Shaun, cherish them.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Wonderful to have a connection to such an influential writer and artist, thank you Bob and Shaun for letting us see them.

Bob, have you given thought to the float rubbers on yours, I've had a few very old floats that have been left in tackle boxes for decades and the rubbers perish and seem to damage the paint under them. Just a thought for preservation purposes. It may be more down to environmental factors of course.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Good thinking Marc, thanks.
Marc wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:25 pm Wonderful to have a connection to such an influential writer and artist, thank you Bob and Shaun for letting us see them.

Bob, have you given thought to the float rubbers on yours, I've had a few very old floats that have been left in tackle boxes for decades and the rubbers perish and seem to damage the paint under them. Just a thought for preservation purposes. It may be more down to environmental factors of course.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Firstly thanks for starting this thread Bob, as mentioned elsewhere Bernard would have been 110 today. Below is my ex Bernard float, hangs on the wall in "tackle corner" in my dinning area.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Here is one of Bernard's floats (on the left) plus a replica that Andy Field made for me to fish with. Whilst I don't have the providence to prove this next bit, I think the original may have been made by Richard Walker as the finish, colour and whippings are very similar/same as floats he was known to have made.

The design was specifically made for the roach of 'the Lily Pad Hole' on the River Beane; see Fred J Taylor's book 'Favourite Swims' for a narrative on the method and thinking behind it. Hope that is of interest! I have lots of Bernard's bits and bobs here which I treasure a great deal. I'll look for some more photos!

(please note, tench fleetingly placed on damp moss!)

And a pike float that belonged to Bernard as well, again with an Andy Field replica (please note pike fleetingly placed on damp soft grass!).

I was very lucky to pick up a box of Bernard's tackle at the end of an auction for very little. It was an absolute treasure trove. I sold quite a few bits on eBay and donated the proceeds to the ACA as it was then. As well as the floats I have other items such as his fishermans knife, mackerel flies, line winders, bubble floats, sea trout flies (now in a frame in my study) and even his midge net!

Here's a few bits in a display cabinet.

I adore his books and painting. Not sure we will ever see his type again.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”