Angler's Corner

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Aaron

Re: Angler's Corner

Post by Aaron »

Chavender wrote:
as for the anglers corner video's ,there is another set of four programs on game fish which i'm still trying to locate to add to my collection on youtube .people are free to download them ,i post links to my collection for people to enjoy
I see some altruistic sort has done the decent thing, and put the game fishing episodes on youtube.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYNo3VrOTU

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Thanks for the link Aaron. I've been after this for ages. Beautiful stuff as ever with BV.

The grayling episode is wonderful. BV comments on Righyni's fastidious use of the fly for grayling rather than 'float fishing with gilt-tails'. In reality Righyni was an advocate and innovator of trotting for grayling. For example, the Grayling Society published an amusing correspondence between Righyni and an outraged French fly fisherman. The latter taken aback that the Society could condone fishing for grayling with anything other than fur and feather and Righyni putting him straight. So I started to wonder whether this episode was filmed before he embraced trotting. But then we see his friend tackling up with the float Righyni created using balsa and piano wire. So I'm guessing this was only a plot device.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Righyni was fishing the Burnsall club waters. Reg fished below (not above as stated in the commentary) the bridge at the top of the great bend and Herbert fished above the river at Loup Scar. Herbert appears to achieve the rather difficult feat of hooking a grayling below the scar and landing it above it, but I suppose men were men in those days.

You can buy a day ticket to fish this stretch of the Wharfe from the Red Lion in Burnsall, but I think trotting is now banned above the Dib mouth which is about a mile below the bridge. It might make an interesting, if slightly expensive, day out for the northern contingent in Winter. The Red Lion id a classic angling pub and it serves excellent food.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Good find,
I wonder if Herbert borrowed BV's Craftversa one of which I'm fairly sure he is using to trot for grayling.
That centrepin is fitted a long way down the handle though and looks awkward by todays style, although on a second
viewing his moving the rod from hand to hand does give the arms a rest from constant holding.
I wonder if that's the secret of fishing a heavy rod for long periods?

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

I've always wondered this. Reel positioning was a big thing with Milwards, they advertised
their versa rods as having different striking actions depending on where you put the reel.
Craftversa's seemed to fall into the game category - trotting for grayling and the occasional
spot of gentlemanly coarse fishing.
Has anyone ever seen copies of the barbel and perch episodes of anglers corner??

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

There is a copyright to this chaps. Thread tidied up.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”