Job lot late Xmas present

The Precision Rods forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Job lot late Xmas present

Post by Delaminated »

I picked an Avon style rod up just after Christmas in a lot of six rods on that auction site.
The lot looked as there were some reasonable cane rods that needed just a light “tidying up” along with a nice glass Edgar Sealey float rod.
Amount the cane rods was this Bernard Sealey “Festival” rod that looked nice.
The intermediate rings had rusted , and the varnish was almost the colour of toffee and was cracking.
I put the rod up, the ferrules were goodish and will tighten with a touch of wax.
The cane was nice and straight with just a hint of droop.
I gave it a waggle, thought “nice crisp action” and put it away for attention at the back of the queue.

ImageImageImage

I had a look on the TFF yesterday and thought that this might be a rather rare rod.

Regards Tom

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Job lot late Xmas present

Post by AshbyCut »

Perhaps not 'rare,' Sir ... but certainly desirable ... and popular enough to have a life span of over 20 years in production.

I believe that Robert Sealey, Bernard's son, designed this rod and it's bigger brother the "Festival Avon" to mark the Festival of Britain in 1951. It was still being listed in the "Rod Price List As From Feb 1st 1972," although it is part of "Items To Be Deleted From The List," which states that there are "2 only available."

It "Festival Avon" is the 'rare' rod of the two ... I have yet to see an example, though I am fortunate enough to own one of the wonderful Andrew Davis replicas which he describes on his website as "based on a rare R Sealey's rod, a barbel rod with steep step down tapers. The butt section is large diameter whole cane which gives great stability and confidence when steering your barbel to the net. It has a sensitive tip for good bite indication. Unmistakable whipping pattern with fine intermediates."

The "Festival" is an excellent 'all round rod,' and it seems Bernard Sealey & Co. were happy to adapt the basic rod, with it's whole cane butt, and middle and tip sections of split cane with a 'simple' taper, to the requirements of individual customers.

I have 3 of them currently, all slightly different.

1. The unrestored example with the 'simple' straight tapers in the middle and tip sections, bearing a 'Tom Watson' retailers label.
2. An example restored by Andrew Davis with a compound taper in the middle section, but with a 'simple' tip.
3. An example restored by Paul Cook with a 'compound' taper in both middle and tip sections.

I hope that helps you, and I hope to follow your restoration, should you go ahead with it.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Delaminated
Bleak

Re: Job lot late Xmas present

Post by Delaminated »

Hi A.C.,
Thank you for your informative comment on my posting.
I thought my rod was a rare one because it has compound tapers on both the top and middle sections of the rod as shown , I hope , in my third picture.
I have little knowledge of the B.Sealey models, and on reading one of your earlier posts, havecome to appreciate how diverse the range of rods are from this manufacturer.

Regards Tom

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”