R. Sealey's 'Marsden' ... a twin !!!

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

R. Sealey's 'Marsden' ... a twin !!!

Post by AshbyCut »

Some of you may remember that just over 5 years years ago I acquired and restored a Precision Rods "R. Sealey's Marsden," their version of the Mk IV carp rod which a certain Mr. R Walker is responsible. The account of that experience is here :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 09&t=18321

This was that rod when I had finished it's refurbishment :-

The 'force' has been strong with me of late ... so you can imagine my delight at being given the chance to become the custodian of a fully restored and identical "Marsden," both rods bearing not only the Precision Rods shield from the Marsden Road, Redditch factory ... but also the Ogden Smith retailers badge.

The rod arrived this afternoon ... and it lives up to my expectations.

To confirm ... this is a 2 piece, split cane rod of 10ft. 1 1/8in. (3mtrs 7.5cm) in length. This one weighs in at 12.5oz (355gr), and has the same 28in. (71.2cm) handle.

I shall be enjoying a celebratory tincture this evening !!!

Image Image Image Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: R. Sealey's 'Marsden' ... a twin !!!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another very fine acquisition Mal.

I think a "Precision Rods" day out needs to be arranged next year when we can all get together and give your collection an airing.

Members to supply own reels of course and no heavy lines :Hahaha: we don't want any disasters..

Wal.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

You are truly unstoppable on this quest! We need to crowd fund for a museum - or perhaps an extension to AC''s residence - to house them all!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

The Master Yoda of Precision Rods wields hit “light” rod again!

Do you need to have 2 of everything like the National Plant Collections?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Duckett wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pmDo you need to have 2 of everything like the National Plant Collections?
I actually try to avoid it, Sir ... unless there are differences in construction over the years. I have 3 "Marsden" rods now ... but one of them is fibre glass !

Also ... I find it really interesting to compare two rods with the same name ... like these two. One has a slightly longer butt section compared to the other ... but the other has a slightly longer tip section ... so they are the same length when made up. Also ... one is .45 of an ounce lighter than the other.

These tiny variations prove to me that the rods were artisan built ... not mass produced on machines which make every product identical. It's these tiny differences which create the 'soul' of a rod ... each one unique !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Could be the cane though?

Still - rods for me to be envious of - but I still have that beautiful Aspindale! :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Lovely looking rod! I looked back through your linked post but unfortunately the pictures have been lost - I wonder I'd there a chance of repeating them AC? I'd certainly like to see the renovation :Sun: I's that ferrule and stoppper shape/style unique to the brand?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Liphook wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 pm Lovely looking rod! I looked back through your linked post but unfortunately the pictures have been lost - I wonder I'd there a chance of repeating them AC? I'd certainly like to see the renovation :Sun: I's that ferrule and stoppper shape/style unique to the brand?
Liphook, sir ... I have managed to find some of the photos ... especially the state of the rod when I first received it ... and have edited the thread to show before, during, and after photos. I hope people will look again. (I will never forgive a certain photo sharing company for what they did to us all !!!!!)

As for the stopper, I've never seen another like it ... so it may have been added from another source.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you AC sir :Hat:

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”