Shall I?...

The Precision Rods forum.
Dipper
Rudd

Re: Shall I?...

Post by Dipper »

Olly wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:48 pm I would of course up my offer!

Old rods/vintage rods came in a variety of lengths including roach poles of 20ft+. Modern float rods often exceed 15ft as Spanish reed rods occasionally did in the past.

Perhaps a Hardy Surestrike would help to change your mind?
I’m afraid I’m not familiar with that rod Olly?

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Made by Hardy in 1951 (G30442) it weighs 9oz. Made of whole cane butt: whole cane middle: greenheart tip. Length 11ft. (Due to the sort of fishing I do the tip is 'light' as is the rod itself - I much prefer a beefier split cane than greenheart.) Called "The Surestrike Thames style" - there is a "Surestrike Sheffield style" with a spliced tip. The option for the Thames was either greenheart tip or split cane. (I am not sure if the Sheffield had the same option.)
To me it is for light lines and smaller fish - carp/barbel/chub being by preferred option - it wouldn't last long! It seems to be unmolested although the tip ring's red whipping had partially come undone. In an original Hardy bag. Been hanging here since I bought it some years ago - unused.

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Olly wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:49 pm Made by Hardy in 1951 (G30442) it weighs 9oz. Made of whole cane butt: whole cane middle: greenheart tip. Length 11ft. (Due to the sort of fishing I do the tip is 'light' as is the rod itself - I much prefer a beefier split cane than greenheart.) Called "The Surestrike Thames style" - there is a "Surestrike Sheffield style" with a spliced tip. The option for the Thames was either greenheart tip or split cane. (I am not sure if the Sheffield had the same option.)
To me it is for light lines and smaller fish - carp/barbel/chub being by preferred option - it wouldn't last long! It seems to be unmolested although the tip ring's red whipping had partially come undone. In an original Hardy bag. Been hanging here since I bought it some years ago - unused.
Olly, thanks very much for taking the time to post the info, it sounds like a nice rod, although of little use to me as like you I fish for more sporting fish generally, which the rod in question is most definitely up to.... I’m still hoping mr Ashby will reply as I’m eager to know for what, and in what situation he uses his for!

Many thanks once again

Regards,

”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have and use Chapman 500 & 550s/B.James Avons/Allcocks Carp-Avon & Avon Superb/Aspindale Goldendales/Sharpe's Avon/Hardy LRH 2s - all of which are more suitable for your needs and readily available to purchase - just not mine I am afraid!

I think your rod would make an excellent tench rod.

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Olly wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:38 pm I have and use Chapman 500 & 550s/B.James Avons/Allcocks Carp-Avon & Avon Superb/Aspindale Goldendales/Sharpe's Avon/Hardy LRH 2s - all of which are more suitable for your needs and readily available to purchase - just not mine I am afraid!

I think your rod would make an excellent tench rod.
Which of the rods you list are 11ft Olly, and how much would I be looking at to acquire one?

Regards,

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There-by hangs the tail! None of them!

11ft coarse rods and longer were for float fishing, mostly as many believed that more power on the fish can be applied by a short rod. Although there were/are 10ft 6in spinning rods available - Hardy's Murdoch 12ft, 28in handle but 22oz in weight! The longer the rod the heavier it was with a Decantelle at 10ft 6 able to cast 3/4oz to 2oz weighing 24oz and the Super version weighing an enormous 30oz catching a world record carp in South Africa of over 33lb and casting up to 3oz. All available in Palakona or greenheart aimed at Masheer/Norwegian Salmon/Pike and other big fish. The JJH and Multex also fit the bill.

An 11footer can be made by several competent modern makers at an "expensive" cost, for me anyway!

Coming from the glass & c**bon era where a modern 13ft Q/T rod can cope with 20+lb carp - a compromise is made. Remember a 14lb barbel was enormous and a 40+ carp yet to be caught until I was 6 years old!

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Olly wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:30 pm There-by hangs the tail! None of them!

11ft coarse rods and longer were for float fishing, mostly as many believed that more power on the fish can be applied by a short rod. Although there were/are 10ft 6in spinning rods available - Hardy's Murdoch 12ft, 28in handle but 22oz in weight! The longer the rod the heavier it was with a Decantelle at 10ft 6 able to cast 3/4oz to 2oz weighing 24oz and the Super version weighing an enormous 30oz catching a world record carp in South Africa of over 33lb and casting up to 3oz. All available in Palakona or greenheart aimed at Masheer/Norwegian Salmon/Pike and other big fish. The JJH and Multex also fit the bill.

An 11footer can be made by several competent modern makers at an "expensive" cost, for me anyway!

Coming from the glass & c**bon era where a modern 13ft Q/T rod can cope with 20+lb carp - a compromise is made. Remember a 14lb barbel was enormous and a 40+ carp yet to be caught until I was 6 years old!
If money was no option I’d have an 11ft stout carp rod made, but as for most of us, and with the current situation the world has found itself in, purse string are well and truly tightened ....

Hence my thoughts on the big supreme, a resto/mod will cost a fraction of a custom build and it would be A very capable tool indeed, after all it is a fishing rod, to be fished with.

It looks like Mr Ashby is too upset to reply regarding his particular use for his rod, I do apologise. :surrender:

I understand those who like these things in lovely original condition to take out and waggle on occasion and I mean no offence, but I personally am an angler rather than a collector, perhaps when my knees are gone and I’m too old to creep quietly round a carp pool I’ll spend more time faffing and fettling but for now I’d like to continue bending cane and making memories...

Thanks again Olly for taking the time to enlighten me, there are so many rods out there and so little time!

Tight lines and regards,

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”