"R. Sealey's Autofly"

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

"R. Sealey's Autofly"

Post by AshbyCut »

Making number 62 in the 'national archive' of this company ...

I've just won (on a certain auction website) on a maiden bid ... a Precision rod's "R. Sealey's Autofly" ... a 2 piece, 7ft., all split cane rod, bearing a retailers transfer for "Fenwick's of Wolverhampton."

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: "R. Sealey's Autofly"

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Now that looks like a nice little rod!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A few more pics ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Did Sealeys use that black and white jaspe thread on all their rods? I bought a reel of it from Redditch in readiness for the repair to my Tudor light weight if I ever find a new tip section!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 pm Did Sealeys use that black and white jaspe thread on all their rods? I bought a reel of it from Redditch in readiness for the repair to my Tudor light weight if I ever find a new tip section!
What looks like yellow/black on the rods is actually white/black ... as you can see from the chip in the varnish in the photo of the tip guide. The 'yellow' is, in fact, the effect of ageing varnish.

I haven't been able to find a true white/black, so have a supply of about 1500 meters of Gudebrod, which looks a bit 'silver' rather than 'white' to my untutored eyes ... but we go with what we've got ! :Wink:

ps ... the 'jasper' threads were mostly used on the 'match' type reed/cane rods ... with a simple red used on 'most' of the split cane rods.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A handy little rod by the looks of it Mal and another nice addition to the collection but Autofly seems a strange name for what appears to be a spinning rod. Any thoughts on the name.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 amA handy little rod by the looks of it Mal and another nice addition to the collection but Autofly seems a strange name for what appears to be a spinning rod. Any thoughts on the name.
Not until I have it in my hands Wal, Sir.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

AshbyCut wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 am
Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 amA handy little rod by the looks of it Mal and another nice addition to the collection but Autofly seems a strange name for what appears to be a spinning rod. Any thoughts on the name.
Not until I have it in my hands Wal, Sir.
That's what I was going to ask, seems a strange name for a spinning rod. It actually looks very similar to my 7' Milwards number even down to the jasper thread... Thanks for showing us sir... :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 amA handy little rod by the looks of it Mal and another nice addition to the collection but Autofly seems a strange name for what appears to be a spinning rod. Any thoughts on the name. Wal.
The mists of confusion clear as we stroll into the bright, clear uplands of knowledge !

In other words, the rod arrived this morning and it was simply a case of a bad listing error ... and it's even more special than I thought.

It's a delightful little light spinning rod, and the varnish on the area where the name is written has broken down a little ... but the name is clear ... it isn't "R. Sealey's Autofly," ... it's "R. Sealey's Autoflex" !!! The seller wasn't careful enough.

So why, I hear you ask, is this even more special ???

Well ... in March last year Nobby posted about a reel he'd seen at a Mullock's auction ... an "R. Sealey Autoflex Casting Reel."

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20694&hilit=autoflex

I managed to track it down, and it became mine a few days later.

Just after acquiring it, I posted in the original thread ... "In future, this 'R. Sealey Autoflex Casting Reel' will, in future, only be used when mounted on R. Sealey rods !!! :Wink:"

I was wrong. The pair are now reunited ... and the "Autoflex" reel will only ever be used on the "Autoflex" rod.

I couldn't be happier at this very moment !!!!! HURRAH !!!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hurrah! Indeed Mal, lovely that they will be paired together.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”