Tudor lightweight

The Precision Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Tudor lightweight

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I have just had an enjoyable few days in Whitby staying with a non angling friend. I took my recently acquired Lightcaster to use in the harbour just for fun. On seeing it my friend produced a cloth rod bag and handing it to me said "is this any good? Imagine my surprise when out came a Precision Rods Tudor Lightweight fly rod in mint condition. It can only have been used a few times judging by the condition. When I told him how good it was he said "You'd better have it for your birthday then" I couldn't speak for about two hours I was so overcome with gratitude. He then handed me a Strike Right fly reel and a wicker creel which his Father had used with the rod many years previous. His Father has not been able to fish for many years due to ill health and had concentrated on his painting which he continues to do today despite being unable to walk and suffering with poor eye sight.
The reel has a very odd line attached which I thought might be silk but under a magnifying glass looks to be braided, could this be a silk line?
I would quite like to try and use this line but having been stored for many years it may not be usable, I assume it would need dressing with something but have no idea what?
The rod tip has a slight set downwards in the last third of it's length, should this be straightened or should I ignore it? I don't really want to heat it for fear of spoiling the immaculate varnish finish and it's originality.
I assume this is a small river/brook rod, does any one know what weight line to use with it and what are it's limitations in terms of the size of fish it could handle?
Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hope you like the following pics!
Jeremy.

"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

SeanM
Tench

Re: Tudor lightweight

Post by SeanM »

Most of the shorter (around 8ft 6in) cane fly rods will take a 5wt line although if the rod is fitted with bridge rings they may be a bit small in diameter for modern fly lines. They will work, but you'll find that your casting distance will be reduced. Snake rings will be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about a slight set, but if it bothers you then warming the area with a hair dryer should get the cane warm enough to take the set out without damaging the varnish.

It does sound like you've got a silk line on the reel. Try a lighter flame on the very tip of the line. If it melts into a blob then it's nylon and if it chars and smells of burnt hair it's almost certainly silk. Silk line can be restored fairly easily, but check it for damage, mould, etc before starting. Work along the line giving each section a firm pull to check for weakness. If it breaks it was useless anyway.

Strip off any old dressing by soaking in a solution (about half a supermarket tub in a gallon of water)of bicarbonate of soda in warm water in a bucket and pulling the line through a cloth, scrubbing any remaining bits.

Re-dress with boiled linseed oil (be careful how you dispose of this as it can spontaneously combust - best to wrap any old rags you use in wet kitchen towel and seal in a freezer bag).

There's a detailed procedure here:

http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk

I hope that helps.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Thanks Sean, it looks to be silk having just done a flame test so will clean the line as you suggest and obtain some boiled linseed oil.
Having never used a silk line before I am quite looking forward to trying it out. I think a line dryer might be a good idea too!
Best regards.
Jeremy.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Lovely to see another 'Lightweight,' though I would venture yours is 'younger' than mine as it has a screw reel seat rather than the all cork version.

The link to mine is :-

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=18479

I'm no flyfisher, but it has been suggested to me that a 4 or 5 weight would be appropriate.

Welcome to "The Precision Owners Club." (I may have to have badges made !!! ;-) )
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

yes, I'd already seen yours! I'm guessing mine is approx 1960 or there abouts?
They do seem to be very well made rods, I love the jaspe silk binding on the rings, really looks special.
Forward me a badge when you have them!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'd suggest 60's is right, and 50's for mine. They moved on to fibre glass in the 70's under the "Bernard Sealey & Co.' badge having dropped 'Precision Rods' as a registered trade mark. Perhaps it was a cost cutting measure.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a lovely gift Jeremy. :Hat:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Lovely rod, hopefully give you many years service. On a side note, I have one of those reels somewhere, they're a wonderful looking bit of design aren't they.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Prince of Durham wrote:Lovely rod, hopefully give you many years service. On a side note, I have one of those reels somewhere, they're a wonderful looking bit of design aren't they.
Mark, yes, I think quite unique and I managed to change it to left hand wind by dismantling and moving the line guide to the
the opposite side of the reel. Its quite heavy compared to modern reels but balances the rod perfectly so it will get used with this rod!
Can't wait to try them out!!

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

That's a lovely gift Jeremy. One to treasure.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”