Rudge Streamline?

The A. E. Rudge and Son Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Rudge Streamline?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
I'm wondering if anyone has an A E Rudge Streamline that they would be able to put up a picture of so I may get an idea of the original bells and whippings for a restoration?
Regards Cat

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Rudge Streamline?

Post by AshbyCut »

If you mean the split cane version (there is, I understand, a fibre glass version out there), I hope these help, Sir. They are of a Rudge 'Streamline' which I restored and sold in 2013, which the new owner took on a carping holiday to France in September that year, and landed a carp of 52lb 1oz ... a record for the lake at that time.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Excellent! You are a scholar and a Gentleman. Thank you.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

ps ... this was the carp ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Crikey!

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Good morning folks, I wonder if anyone knows the rated test curve of these beastly rods?…
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just guessing, Sir ... (and I have never seen nor heard of a Rudge catalogue) ... but I suspect that it was intended as a salmon spinning rod (I have seen mention of a 9ft.version too) ... so I think an estimate of 1 3/4lb. to 2lb. as a ball park figure.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Maybe even a little tad more perhaps? I would concure with being designed for salmon spinning. I've used my 10' version over the summer for a bit of carping, and although I had to repair a proper crack between the bottom ring and handle (possibly with the longest ever single strand whip and quality glue courtesy of my good friend John Shuker - maker of Shuker Bass Guitars), it's proven a good rod. Indeed, I now wish I'd made a better job of it with better quality bells and doing the intermediates.

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Thanks chaps, I’d be interested to know if anyone who owns one has tested it with a balance? I’m thinking it could possibly be a good rod for swinging big deadbaits out on the river this winter, it certainly seems to have the pedigree….
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Dipper,
Haven't tested it with a balance, but used it yesterday afternoon and it tamed a 20lb hard fighting mirror (biggest of the season, first cast!) with adequate control, including a trip into the lily pads. The newly polished Intrepid Continental line guide wasn't quite up to the same standard with another groove appearing. The rod has a pretty good through action when loaded.
Regards Cat

Return to “A. E. Rudge and Son Cane Rods”