The Prince fly rod?

The A. E. Rudge and Son Rods forum.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

The Prince fly rod?

Post by RobGoodwin »

I have just been given a 2-section split cane fly rod manufactured by A.E. Rudge and son, Unity Works, Redditch. It is about 8 feet long and I have used it once and it seemed to throw a D/T floating #4 line rather well. Rather pleasingly, I caught a trout on it - on a dry fly too. It has what I think reads: "The Prince" written just above the handle. The butt ring and tip are lined, the rest are unlined. The whippimgs are in maroon silk. Does anyone know when these rods were made? I'm guessing 1950s or 60s. I would love to know how old the rod is. Also any tips for cleaning it, storing it, and looking after it? I think it is in original and very good usable condition. Thanks, Rob

Liphook
Barbel

Re: The Prince fly rod?

Post by Liphook »

I can't enlighten you Rob but every keen river fly angler should have at least one 8ft #4/5 in cane :Thumb: It's at about this length and line weight that a good cane rod really excels :Hat: Initial cleaning with a damp cloth, always store with sections uppermost, completely dry and in a bag hanging on a nail/peg in a safe corner away from daylight and heat. Transport in a stiff tube and beware car doors, tailgates and excitable dogs etc!
Last edited by Liphook on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have one and it's a wonderful fly rod. I was gifted mine by a late friend some time back and it was repaired by Wal, owing to a broken handle. I've got several other cane fly rods and none have come close to the Prince.

Keep it hung somewhere cool and dry in its bag. I check all my rods before I go to the bank to see if they require any light varnish or theres any rubbing to the whipping.

Make sure to dry it out well before hanging it after a day on the river. Years of service await you.
Last edited by Marc on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Ps.. I don't know the date. 50's I'd expect.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

RobGoodwin
Minnow

Post by RobGoodwin »

Thanks for the replies Gents.

Return to “A. E. Rudge and Son Cane Rods”