Passingford Bridge

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Passingford Bridge

Post by Harry H »

Might be of interest to the Roding fishers great picture anyway

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Marks7
Bleak

Re: Passingford Bridge

Post by Marks7 »

Brilliant. It would have been a great roach fishery then. Where did the picture come from?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Looks like a young Bob Brookes in the foreground and I am sure he still has that beer crate for a rod rest. :Chuckle:

Great picture Richard, thanks for showing it.

Wal.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

It doesn't look like that now sadly...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Marks7 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:16 pm Brilliant. It would have been a great roach fishery then. Where did the picture come from?
It was on a Facebook page on Essex :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Sadly, every time I see Passingford mentioned, I weep a little inside for Passingford Pond.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Duckett wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 pm Sadly, every time I see Passingford mentioned, I weep a little inside for Passingford Pond.
Please tell us more!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 am
Duckett wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 pm Sadly, every time I see Passingford mentioned, I weep a little inside for Passingford Pond.
Please tell us more!
Passingford Pond was a lovely small water alongside the road with a good head of nice Crucian, Roach, Rudd etc. It was controlled by Hollow Angling Society, of which I was a member then and my favourite water of theirs - the only pond I’ve fished in Essex like those I learned to fish on at home on The Wirral.

Anyway, about 7 or 8 years ago someone tragically drowned in a farm slurry pit next to the pond. The next thing the club knew was that the slurry pit had been emptied into Passingford Pond, ending its life as well. Rumours were rife but I never did fully understand what happened.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Interesting to see the anglers keeping low and well back from the waters edge. Most fishing book photos of that era seem to be of anglers standing upright as close to the waters edge as possible. I suspect it would be too early for them to be 'Walker' disciples?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Duckett wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:29 am
Tengisgol wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 am
Please tell us more!
Passingford Pond was a lovely small water alongside the road with a good head of nice Crucian, Roach, Rudd etc. It was controlled by Hollow Angling Society, of which I was a member then and my favourite water of theirs - the only pond I’ve fished in Essex like those I learned to fish on at home on The Wirral.

Anyway, about 7 or 8 years ago someone tragically drowned in a farm slurry pit next to the pond. The next thing the club knew was that the slurry pit had been emptied into Passingford Pond, ending its life as well. Rumours were rife but I never did fully understand what happened.

What a terrible tragedy all round. Whereabouts was the pond in relation to Passingford Bridge please? Just curious as I can’t recall a pond close by (not least because of the flooding!)?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Roding”