River Roding Upper reaches

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Andyac
Ruffe

River Roding Upper reaches

Post by Andyac »

Hi all
After spotting a Otter at Mitchell's farm I have moved upstream about 5 miles to Chipping Ongar Roding under the Castle Angling Club. The Otter was a magnificent beast , much bigger than a mink and huge whiskers with claws. Otters dont eat just fish but everything in the water or on the water or on the bank . When I spotted the Otter I was roving and had bites in 7 out of 8 swims and caught in 5 out of 8. I caught all Roach 11 and most were netters. I will return if possible in a few years to see the difference. If any I know the crayfish population at Mitchell's farm has dropped drastically with lots of eaten crayfish bodies on the bank. I have fished the rivers Itchen and Test and these rivers have always had Otters and I know they are full of coarse and game fish which may make difference. There is science to suggest if the habitat, water and food is not good enough then Otters reproductive organs fail first so Otters are a good sign. This years Otter survey in Essex maybe suspended and if Otters were on decline the wildlife trust would want better water quality and improved fish stocks which obviously is good for anglers. I will email the Essex Wildlife Trust and ask for results.
Stay Safe Everyone and we may get out the 16th june.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: River Roding Upper reaches

Post by Tengisgol »

Good evening from another Roding angler!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Welcome to the TFF
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Greetings Sir :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

I love the Roding; live within sight of it and fish it regularly. Yes otters, mink and crayfish are present but it still produces good fish. Hopefully nature will create a balance between the natural and invasive species because it appears we humans can’t manage it.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
Thanks for the greetings
Marks7 yes I remember when we didn't like crayfish and started catching pristine Perch 2lb plus not old battle scared warriors. About 10 years ago 4 spawning pairs of chub were on a gravel run and a perch about pound was sitting behind the chub. The chub would turn and chase the perch away and the perch kept coming back waiting for the eggs. While river fly kick sampling I caught a large bullhead with a baby dace in its mouth. All fish eat fish .It looks like we are able to go fishing soon however I stick to the closed season.
Keep safe everyone

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
Anyone out June 16+ on the river or waiting for winter.? I have caught Tench and common and leather Carp and Rudd in various parts of the Roding above Abridge in summer. I witnessed a Chub angler catching a 18 lb carp on cheese and a 14 hook and 3.5 lb hooklength. After my first season with castle angling club I am trying to find my own swim. When I was with bdac I found a summer / winter banker swim however the farmer sold the land and the fishing was lost. It was 3/4,s of a mile walk but worth it. I have some video footage and may upload with my other Roding videos.
Tight lines and Stay safe and alert.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I’ll be having a wander in the next couple of weeks to see what I can find
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

I’ll be having a look but normally in summer most of the stretches I fish have so much weed the river looks more like a green road. It’s at its best in winter.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Marks7 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:09 am I’ll be having a look but normally in summer most of the stretches I fish have so much weed the river looks more like a green road. It’s at its best in winter.
I much prefer the local rivers in the winter... once the first frosts and rain have washed away most of the weed
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “River Roding”