Aerial Match 1939

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Aerial Match 1939

Post by Lea Dweller »

Lea Dweller wrote:I agree with Macko, having seen and handled a number of aerial matches over the last 20 years the only thing that sets this model apart from other aerials seems to be that the factory producing them was bombed, thereby reducing the number that would otherwise have been produced! Having said that, collecting is all about rarity, so by definition people will pay "silly money" for an item that others would deem "run of the mill " I rest my case!
Since posting my comments on the Aerial Match in October 2014, I have acquired one myself and would like to update my position. I bought the reel at a bargain price as it has a tiny crack in the lineguard, which I knew about. My intention was to sell it at a profit as I have done with many other items. Having now given the matter some consideration, I am now inclined to keep and use it, albeit infrequently as I have several other reels. My reasoning is quite simple, as a piece of engineering it is superb, very light and free running. Having compared it to a Chris Lythe version, which is stunning but new. I doubt that I will find another more iconic reel at a price that I can afford. So unless or until I need the money, I will keep it!
One other thing that I discovered upon closer examination was the the number 30 is stamped on both of the drum flanges?
P.S. I do not plan to do anything with the back plate, but I would like to clean the drum which still has some of the original lacquer? present, any tips please?

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

Lea, that is one truly gorgeous reel.

You lucky so'n'so !!!!!

If you publish your address and tell me when you will be out, I promise I wont come round and "tidy up" for you.

Will

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

It would not be that difficult to find out where I live, but if you want to see the reel come to Redditch next month!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Start off with a toothbrush and hot soapy water Ted, I personally don't think you should try to strip it, just a gentle clean and oil.... only my opinion of course. :Hat:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thanks Paul, I will do as you suggest! I would not want to damage it in any way, so I will be very careful!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Another convert! Well done that man.
Jim

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

The VFC wrote:Another convert! Well done that man.
Jim
I believe you sold the one that you had, as it is no longer on your site?

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Yes indeed - I miss playing with it! Good news is it went to a fellow TFFer and true gentleman - may it bring him oodles of pleasure.
Jim

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is good news indeed, I am sure that if I do decide to sell a TFF member will be interested, as they are a lovely reel!

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Fascinating to see a reel made in the year of mt Birth. It was a very good year for all sorts of things it seems.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”