List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Delaminated »

What a monster! Looks like a hair dryer!

Regards Tom

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Looks like a piece of futuristic art from the 1920/30’s to me,

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening fellow friends,well in 1963 I bought a hardy Altex no1at that time I had a choice of the Altex or a Allcocks Duco in black ,the Altex ceased up after about a couple of months and took one month to get back ,so thinking now I should have bought the Duco,the cheaper and better choice.Reelmaker

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sadly, that prototype was stolen, so if you ever see it....give Garry a call!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. :Thumb:

I came about it as I have picked up a really sweet little metallic beige Ambidex Casting Reel that, according to the knowledge of the Massif on here would probably date from 1947 onwards; "Ltd: & "Patent" on the badge, no model number, half bail and a small flyer in the box extolling some angler's catch of salmon using an Ambidex Number 2. It also has the Ambidex arthritis as described in the early pages. What I also discovered that I cannot find the answer to on here is that when the spool is manually turned it also turns the drag adjuster and either tightens or loosens the drag adjustment. There is nothing to separate them when the spool is mounted and the adjuster screwed on.

Am I missing a washer / spacer / shim thingy? :Confused:

Thanks in advance. :Hat:

Edit; Just noticed the date of capture on the flyer was 1st March 1953 so the reel is older than that.
Last edited by Mole-Patrol on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

There may be a fault with the tension adjuster. Can you show a picture of the underside of the adjuster. It could also be the wrong one (earlier version) has been fitted.

Wal.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:13 pm There may be a fault with the tension adjuster. Can you show a picture of the underside of the adjuster. It could also be the wrong one (earlier version) has been fitted.

Wal.
Thanks Wal. Looking at the diagram in the instruction manual everything is there and looks the same.

I will take some photos tomorrow. :Hat:

Regards,

Clive

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

This is the little tinker

It looks like it has spent most of its life social distancing in its box. But it is surprisingly well oiled. :cheers:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't currently have one here....blue washer maybe goes between spool and adjuster ??? There has to be something to stop the adjuster gripping the spool and vice-versa.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Nobby wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 am I don't currently have one here....blue washer maybe goes between spool and adjuster ??? There has to be something to stop the adjuster gripping the spool and vice-versa.
Thanks Nobby :Hat:

I don't think there is one shown on the diagram in the manual, but I did try a fibre tap washer before posting the question. That was the only washer I had that would fit but didn't solve the problem. That blue / green washer is shown on the parts diagram under the spool. I might try and make a washer / shim out of plastic and see if that works. Otherwise I'll just have to play the dudgeon off the handle :Hahaha:

p.s. What happened to your Ambidex collection? I haven't bought in at the wrong time have I - just as prices tumble?

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”