The Cheapest Allcocks Reel.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

The Cheapest Allcocks Reel.

Post by Mr B »

I picked up a reel this week second hand, couldn't resist it for the price.
I have a Aerial Match, Rapidex, Trudex, and a couple of Aerialites, oh, and a wooden star back.
I have seen these reels around and in all honesty never really wanted one but... got one now.

They must have been made for the real budget end of the market.
Do they have a name ( probably asking for it there!) and was they ever in there catalogue?

Be interested in your fews good or bad.

Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: The Cheapest Allcocks Reel.

Post by Deaf Cat »

This is from the 1968 catalogue - the reels are not illustrated.

If yours is 3 1/2” it is the Silver Knight
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It is illustrated along with the Black Knight, in the '65 catalogue.

The Meteorite is not in the '65 but is in the '66 - neither has a picture.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Not seen one of those before.

Must admit I didnt know that Allcocks made "Budget" reels.

"Every day is a school day"
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Deaf Cat wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm This is from the 1968 catalogue - the reels are not illustrated.

I cant wait to get it, like a kid in a sweet shop!
If its a Silver knight... what a great name!!!
They all had good names then, same as the old British motor bikes.... "Gold Star" "lightning" etc etc...,

Thanks for the feed back and the catalogue pages also I saved them.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Wanderer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:14 pm Not seen one of those before.

The 'Bakelite' Aerialite ( hence the name I imagine) was actually made pre WW2, the phenolic resin compound being invented in Belgium in, I think, 1928. I have a pre and a post war one, and it's hard to tell them apart without their boxes being present.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Nobby wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:19 am

The 'Bakelite' Aerialite ( hence the name I imagine) was actually made pre WW2, the phenolic resin compound being invented in Belgium in, I think, 1928. I have a pre and a post war one, and it's hard to tell them apart without their boxes being present.

I do like that... Every day is a school day!

I would have loved this Silver Night when I was at school!
I have two Bakelite Aerialite's too, one looks a tad older than the other, both made in England.

My £6 reel arrived today.
I took apart and gave it a clean.. greased the ratchet cog wire wooled the pin and Oiled it... spins smooth and the ratchet has a great sound... "Great little reel, worth every penny!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Deaf Cat wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm This is from the 1968 catalogue - the reels are not illustrated.

Well, well. Angler Scouts in an Allcocks catalogue. I note from the list of sizes they did not do the smallest of the Scouts, the 8-50, that list being for the 8-60, 8-80, 8-100 and 8-120.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

When it comes to Bakelite, I much prefer the ELO. It’s such a lovely Art Deco inspired design and so tactile in the hand!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Duckett wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 pm

When it comes to Bakelite, I much prefer the ELO. It’s such a lovely Art Deco inspired design and so tactile in the hand!

Phil
I thought I replied to this one???
Since I first posted this I have now added two ELO reels to my collection!
Very nice reels.
Mr B

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”