Ambidex spool size

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Andyman
Bleak

Ambidex spool size

Post by Andyman »

Hi, just acquired a spare spool for my humpback casting reel and find it is slightly different to the original.
Although it is exactly the same diameter it is much shallower (front to back) and the tensioner does not fit inside the front recess.
Also, original has jwy259 cast into it and replacement has jwy525.

It fits onto the reel OK but tension nut sits over the front recess.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Is it possible to use with a different dia tension nut for instance.

Can load photos if this description is not sufficient.

Thanks

Andy
It's All Too Beautiful but Keep on Rocking in the Free World

Fred
Grayling

Re: Ambidex spool size

Post by Fred »

I just had a look at my two humpback No.2s and they have jwy259 on all the spools I have for them,
and I can't find jwy525 on any of my other Ambidex. sorry

Fred
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I think you,le find the 525 is for the No1 FP and the 259 for the No2 FP

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi Andyman,
I have a humpback Ambidex reel with flexible “Full Bale arm” fitted with no.525 spools that I use for finer lines, as the spools are as you have found, not interchangeable with other reels that seem similar. I have not seen more than a couple of this type over the years.
The line capacity is rather small.

The no.2 Casting reel “Half Bale arm” uses no.259 spools that have a raised circle of teeth underneath that engage a sprung arm on the centre shaft to give audible warning when a fish runs.

The no.525 spool should have a “one way turning pawl “clicker”on the underside that engages a cog on the centre to give audible warning of a running fish.

I suppose you could try to pack out the slack with some suitable washers but this would be perhaps a poor compromise, you really need a no.259 spool to get the best from your reel.

Regards Tom.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Delaminated I have two spools with jwy259 but with “one way turning pawl “clicker” so would these have been on later no.2 or on no.3.

Fred

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi Fred,
I have to own up and say that I don’t know!
As you know , Youngs had great fun in continuously adapting and refining their reels to the joy (and dismay ) of the TFF members.
I only know of the Ambidex reels I own or had owned myself.

Ambidexman proboably is the reference among the many more expert who would be of more help to you there.

Regards Tom

Andyman
Bleak

Post by Andyman »

Thanks gents, looks like I have a spare jwy525 spool which I cannot use at present.
We live and learn.

Andy
It's All Too Beautiful but Keep on Rocking in the Free World

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Thanks Tom, I know what you mean.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

I have conducted a quick scan of my latest JW Young book and have listed below the line drums for the first three Ambidex models.

The dates are approximate. I hope it will be of use:

1. First model Ambidex (Black crinkle finish Casting Reel 1946 - 1947) - No JWY part number but some display the Allcocks Superb reel line drum number of SA24

2. No.1 Ambidex (Black crinkle finish 1946 - 1948) - JWY 170 (some with and some without serrations to the underside)

3. No.1 Ambidex (brown finish 1947 - 1950) - JWY 170 (with serrations for use with the 607931 spool tensioner)

4. No. 1 FP Ambidex (Flexible Pick-up - 1954 - 1959) - JWY 525 for use with the 61770 spool tensioner)

5. No. 2 Ambidex - 1947 - 1950 - JWY 259 (without serrations for use with the 607931 spool tensioner)

6. No. 2 FP Ambidex - 1954 - 1959 - JWY 259 (with serrations for use with the 61770 spool tensioner)

7. No.3 Ambidex - 1954 - 1959 - JWY 400 (quick release spool with built in tension mechanism)

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Thank you very much Ambidexman your hard work is appreciated.
I have just ordered a JWY book its the history of JW young and is an updated version of the old one that's out of print.

Fred

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”