Making a Delmatic smooth and easy...

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Making a Delmatic smooth and easy...

Post by Gsmn1 »

I have my first newly acquired Delmatic, which is a delight.
Its quite stiff (by comparison to other reels) to crank and turn.
Not prohibitive by any means but not by any measure free running as you turn the handle.
Were they designed like this?
I've opened it up and it looks fairly heavily packed with fresh grease.
They are so aesthetically beautiful, I thought I'd attempt to remedy over the coming month and try and get it working.
Does anyone have any advice, instructions, steps for servicing, degreasing and lubrication?
Are there wearable components that may be on their last legs?
Would it be a far less painless journey to send it to someone better qualified for a service? :Confused:

Any assistance, as always 100% appreciated.
:Hat:

Cat
Chub

Re: Making a Delmatic smooth and easy...

Post by Cat »

Evening,
There are several posts on the TFF from more learned people than i regarding Delmatics and their idiosyncratic interiors! However, remove the grease as they hate it...degrease all of it, including bearings, and lightly oil. They come apart quite well when you have a think and look, but worth taking photos to follow when putting back together. I think Nobby said something to the effect of 'A good one is good, but making a poor one good is a challenge'! There is also at least one post about the materials used internally that (may) 'swell' if not in use and stiffen up the workings...a view I concur with.
Great reels if you get them sewing machine esque.
Regards Cat

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

PS, if you get stuck, I'll have a go.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Geoff, as Cat says clean all the grease out and simply use a few drops of oil on the bearing surfaces instead. It will never run like a Shimano but they can usually be improved with a little tlc.
There is a plastic spacer on the rotor drive shaft which can sometimes need replacing but usually a strip and rebuild will see it running much nicer.

If you get stuck send it up and I'll sort it for you.

Wal.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice. Let me see if I can work out how it comes apart. If it looks like it is beyond my pre-novice engineering skills, I may shout and take one of you up on a kind offer. I can recompense or trade skills for a favourite tipple. Thanks again. Geoff

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Just read Cats last post offering to sort the reel.
Sorry Cat, I didn't mean to override your kind offer, we must have posted around the same time.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Delmatic was a re-designed Ambidex using Delrin plastic for the gears instead of Tufnol composite.

The Tufnol did react with some lubricants but I don't thin the Delrin suffered in the same manner.

A much smoother product, the Delmatic can be very smooth in good nick, better than many Ambidexes, but if the worm gear has a damaged forward section going out through the body to the rotating drum it just won't take a polish to smooth it out again. I've tried and failed.

Just a few Delmatics seem to have been built using Ambidex parts and you can spot these by looking to see if the rotating head is black plastic or painted metal.

Neither reel likes grease much, oil seems better.

Check that the reel doesn't start to bind up as the side cover screws are tightened home...often something needs sorting before they can be fully tight.

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Gents to ascertain the potential (and variant) of the old girl i have taken a photo of her innards! Ive scooped out a load of grease already with cotton buds. Can you identify whether she's a worthy candidate for restoration? :Wink:

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Looks alright from that picture, but you'll have to take the gears carefully apart and clean the grease off each one individually, and degrease the worm gear (and bearings)...you want it pedantically free from! Time to take out shares in a cotton bud manufacturer!
Apart from that I defer to Nobby and Wal, but don't drop it as the plastic is delicate.
And by the way Wal, non taken and I'll let you have first dibs if Geoff needs a hand (and I also still have that Sharpe's Avon we discussed before lockdown - the one I was looking to swap for a 550 or 700 if I remember correctly).
Regards Cat

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Cheers Cat. I don’t have any instructions on disassembly. But if I feel brave I will attempt and work to your instruction. Cheers. G

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”