Ambidex 1956 Practical Householder.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Ambidex 1956 Practical Householder.

Post by Fredline »

I was scrolling through some old Practical Householder magazines from the 1950’s and came across this advert. It made me think who had the rights to this name? The advert states Southern Cross Company Ltd does.

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Ambidex 1956 Practical Householder.

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

John, you need to get out more mate :Chuckle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 pm John, you need to get out more mate :Chuckle:
I would love to. I played badminton on Sunday and lasted 20 minutes before my left calf muscle "exploded". It is difficult to walk at the moment. Why do we still think we are 20?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

20 mins🤔.....respect :rock:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:05 pm I was scrolling through some old Practical Householder magazines from the 1950’s and came across this advert. It made me think who had the rights to this name? The advert states Southern Cross Company Ltd does.
This might be an example of a Registered Trademark - a way of protecting the use of a word, group of words or image for a specific defined purpose. This protects your specific use but does not preclude the use of the word/image for another, entirely different purpose. Traditionally, and still today, this has been cheaper and more easily obtained than other forms of intellectual property rights. So, the word “Ambidex”, could be used for several clearly defined purposes, normally with a different typeface or design. Some years ago, I did this for the word Clear, and an associated image, for use by the charity I work for in the context of tobacco control public health measures.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”